Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incurma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2018
I have a MacBook Pro 2018 32GB i9. I’m a heavy Chrome user, with usually anywhere from 80-100 windows and 200-250 tabs spread across 5-10 desktop spaces. I realize that this can be tough on a system, however my MacBook Pro 2017 16GB i7 handles the load pretty well. I was hoping for even better handling/performance with the 2018 upgrade, however I am experiencing some weirdness.

I noticed that Chrome windows and tabs that are pointed to Google Drive (docs, spreadsheets, whatever) tend to crash pretty regularly on the 2018 model. The window will go blank, with a Chrome message indicating that the page has crashed (or something to that extent). This almost always happens to window and tab instances that are in a desktop space that I am not currently viewing. I notice the crash when I bring up mission control and see blank browser screens in the preview thumbnails.

Again, I do not have this problem on my 2017 model under similar loads (and same Google Drive documents, which I use regularly for work). My 2018 model shows memory pressure in the green, with 3-5GB free RAM remaining and little to no swap file being used.

MacBook Pro 2018 is running the latest version of High Sierra.

Anyone have any ideas about what may be going on? Anyone seeing anything similar on their side?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.