Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritchey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Hi there,

have a new MBP 14" with MacOS Monterey (12.0.1) and Safari Version 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20). All the pages seem to work properly with one, but important exeption. When I try to search anything via the search bar, it opens Google search results, but the page hardly ever loads properly, it shows just a few top results, the rest is blank (see attached screenshot). The links are also unresponsive - it seems, that the map for links is somewhat misaligned, as the cursor changes to hand a few centimeters away from the text. Quite often it also breaks the search field (both on the page itself as well as the main safari search bar) as I am not able to edit it anymore.

I have tried to delete the cache to no avail. Also restarting the Mac doesn't resolve the issue.

Anyone else encountered the same issue? Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 10.14.27.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 10.14.27.png
    994.7 KB · Views: 634

andrewhan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
I have the exact same problem with the same hardware (MBP 14-in) and software (Montery 12.0.1 and Safari 15.1). I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one with this problem as this is the only relevant post I've came across to. Do you have any Safari extensions by any chance? I'm using Rakuten, AdBlock Plus, and Pipifier and was wondering if any of these was the culprit.

Reactions: ritchey

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Switch to Duck Duck Go and gain the extra benefits of not being tracked so Google cannot target you for ads or sell your data to the highest bidder.

Reactions: Unsupported

ritchey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I have the exact same problem with the same hardware (MBP 14-in) and software (Montery 12.0.1 and Safari 15.1). I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one with this problem as this is the only relevant post I've came across to. Do you have any Safari extensions by any chance? I'm using Rakuten, AdBlock Plus, and Pipifier and was wondering if any of these was the culprit.
Hi, thanks for reply. For 2 days I was affraid, I am the only one with this problem. I have some extensions, but none of yours. I have 1password and Evernote Web Clipper extensions. I have tried to disable them and it started to work properly. So I turned them on one by one to see, which one might have caused the problem and to my surprise it still works with both extensions turned on. Hope it will continue to work. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Last edited:

ritchey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Switch to Duck Duck Go and gain the extra benefits of not being tracked so Google cannot target you for ads or sell your data to the highest bidder.
Thanks for your reply, though it is irrelevant as my original post hasn't stated I want to move from google search. I have tried DuckDuckGo few years ago. It was on my computer for one hour and then it flew to Bin as the search results were utter rubish, completely useless for me.

• Sad
Reactions: AleRod and rehkram

andrewhan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2021
Hi, thanks for reply. For 2 days I was affraid, I am the only one with this problem. I have some extensions, but none of yours. I have 1password and Evernote Web Clipper extensions. I have tried to disable them and it started to work properly. So I turned them on one by one to see, which one might have caused the problem and to my surprise it still works with both extensions turned on. Hope it will continue to work. Anyway, thanks for your help.
I feel you. I think in this particular issue, it's hard to confirm that the issue has been completely resolved as it occurs sporadically. For me, I had so much of this issue last night that I cleared the cash data for google.com as a whole. So far, it seems to have solved the issue, but I would have to test for a few more days to say this with more confidence. I also believe this issue may be less known because it might be particular to the new MBP models that are facing supply shortages and thus currently have few users.

Bustycat

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2015
New Taipei, Taiwan
I feel you. I think in this particular issue, it's hard to confirm that the issue has been completely resolved as it occurs sporadically. For me, I had so much of this issue last night that I cleared the cash data for google.com as a whole. So far, it seems to have solved the issue, but I would have to test for a few more days to say this with more confidence. I also believe this issue may be less known because it might be particular to the new MBP models that are facing supply shortages and thus currently have few users.
My three machines are Intel-based and they’ve all got this issue on Safari 15.

Reactions: andrewhan1

AnaphaseAway

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2021
holy **** i have this EXACT same issue. i submitted a bug report with apple. This issue happens even with my content blockers off

edit: i use Adguard as my only extension and even with it off, the issue still occurs. I use adguard with chrome and this issue never happens there so this must be a safari issue

AnaphaseAway

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2021
aaaand it just happened to me again. back to chrome for me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 2.09.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 2.09.04 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 311

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
I have this problem on my MacBook Air (M1) and iPad Pro (2017?). iPhone is just fine.

Using Edge on Mac and iPad now.

vlad2pac

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2022
guys, I've found a possible solution, I think. I went to VoiceOver and turned it on and off a few times. Haven't seen the bug for two weeks already :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.