Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Long story short, I got a good deal on a D80 body only, jumped on it.

I was using a SB-400 speedlight with my D40x and its great, but I heard that the D80 works better with SB-600 or 800.

I do like to use the SB-400 for indoor photography a lot, but I wonder what would I benefit from, lets say, the SB-600?

Does the flash offer anything for outdoor shots?

I'm thinking about doing portraiture shots with my friends and family (might pick up a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 soon).

In short, using a D80, what would a person gain by using an SB-600 over the SB-400?

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Sounds like I should be looking at the SB-600, but what I was wondering is if there are reviews comparing these different speedlights by Nikon.

Its not too much more for the 800, so I was wondering if I should just get the 800 or if the 600 is enough.

This new hobby of mine is killing me, so many choices, not enough money :)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
here is a good review of the SB-600 on Dpreview.

Actually it id the press release notice - but it shows the features

Looks like a nice unit

They may even have comparisons to other Nikon units.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012803nikonsb600.asp

It seems when the SB-600 is reviewed it gets compared to the SB-800, and not the SB-400.

It is considered a " budget version " of the 800.

Power is lower, less accessories, and the 600 does not have Master/Commander capability. I guess that is to control a second flash.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Haha, don't worry about, I don't get offended easily ;)

I can find out the differences between the two flashes using specs off the website and such, but I was looking for a hands on comparison between the flashes.

I don't quite understand the tech specs to know what I am getting into with each one. However, someone doing a personal comparison on there blog for instance, might help me out more. You know, taking a pic with the SB-400 and then taking the same pic with the SB-600 so I can visually see what the difference is.

Tech specs are fine and dandy, but can be meaningless if I don't see the real world results. I was hoping there was someone here that might have been in the same situation as me in the past and has the examples I was looking for? Probably not, but worth a shot :)

Thanks for the help guys, I might just see if I can look at one in person and play with it.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Do the google search for the SB-600

There are quite a few sites with " user written " reviews.

Chances are you may find comparisons on those as well.

Jan 30, 2006
Again, useless piece of information here. Deleted for the well being of this thread. =(

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
You can move the head to point to the ceiling, etc.

You don't know much about the SB-400, do you. ;) You can point the flash towards the ceiling (and at several other fixed angles. It's not completely free like an SB 600), just not if the camera is held in portrait mode. With the SB-600, you can do that whether the camera is held in portrait or landscape mode. Also, the SB-600 is a stronger flash, while the SB-400 is only 2x stronger (estimate) than the built-in flash of most cameras. The SB-800 is much stronger than the SB600, which is much stronger than the SB-400. It really depends on how you use your flash, but the SB-400 may be perfectly OK for your uses. Also, it's far smaller than the SB-600, and you're more likely to pack it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...I wonder what would I benefit from, lets say, the SB-600?

Does the flash offer anything for outdoor shots?

Yes. While you can't aim the flash to bounce off the ceiling or wall outdoors the SB600 has more power. Out doors in daylight you need even more power then at night or indoors. Because to make a difference your flash has to compete with the sun. For example if you want the shadows filled to one stop below ambient your strobe must be 1/2 as bright as the sun at the flash to subject distance. With more power that distance can be greater

That said, if you can do math in your head a $45 old Vivitar 285 is as good or better than the SB600. Light is light the more power the more options you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.