Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sthpark7791

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
My uncle gave me one of his old lens, a c/fd 75-200mm f4.5. I need an adapter so I can use it with my rebel XT. Will shops like Ritz camera carry it? I'd rather buy it in the store rather than online. I know adorama carries it so I'll use them as a last resort.

Also, what would be a nice cheap lens for close up potraits? I was thinking the 50mm f1.8. Additionally, what would be a good place to get cheap (used) lens (save eBay)? I'm looking to get some wide angle lens but they're too expensive. I already have the stock kit lens which go to 18mm.

lens:
42634526.jpg

Mark Scheuern

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Michigan
I can't help you with the adapter question but yes, the 50 f/1.8 makes a nice portrait lens and you can't beat it for the price. KEH is a good, reliable source of used gear.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Also, what would be a nice cheap lens for close up potraits? I was thinking the 50mm f1.8. Additionally, what would be a good place to get cheap (used) lens

There are some Canon specific photography forums that work much like this one. These are the best places to buy used canon gear. But like here, most only let you post in the forsale section after you've been around for a while. Google should fine you several of these forums. KEH is a bit expensive but they have "everything". The 50mm lenses s very usful. get the f/1.4 f you can even if you have to buy it used. but the f/1.8 is good too and cheaper. Some people might prefer the 85mm lens but that is for head and shoulder shots if you are indoors.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
My uncle gave me one of his old lens, a c/fd 75-200mm f4.5. I need an adapter so I can use it with my rebel XT. Will shops like Ritz camera carry it?

Highly doubtful. Canon's last FD camera was nearly 20 years ago and the end of the road for the FD mount was well known by then. I wouldn't expect a b&m store like Ritz to stock stuff for such an obsolete item. Online will probably be your best option.

If you do get the adapter, just be aware that the lens will only focus manually, you'll lose a little quality and a stop of light (the adapter will act like a teleconverter), and you'll lose the ability to focus at infinity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.