Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I just got a Nikkor Ai-S 35mm f2
Some marks on the barrel but lens very clean.

Paid $82. 3 months warranty

Price new is $695 here

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wow, it's like getting a 50 mm f/1.8 on a DSLR with a FF sensor, except the 35 mm lenses costs way too much.

I always wanted one of these types of lenses on my Nikon digital SLR. :eek:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I just got a Nikkor Ai-S 35mm f2
Some marks on the barrel but lens very clean.

Paid $82. 3 months warranty

Price new is $695 here

It's really worth getting a film body. The 35 f/2 is a true classic (I have one also) one other is the 105 f/2.5 (have that too) you can have any of these for well under $100. and film bodies are cheap too. Not only that but film is cheap. Freestyle in Hollywood sells B&W for under $2 per 36 exposure roll or a buck a roll in bulk. The negs scan into 16MP files.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
It's really worth getting a film body. The 35 f/2 is a true classic (I have one also) one other is the 105 f/2.5 (have that too) you can have any of these for well under $100. and film bodies are cheap too. Not only that but film is cheap. Freestyle in Hollywood sells B&W for under $2 per 36 exposure roll or a buck a roll in bulk. The negs scan into 16MP files.

Those lenses will fit on Nikon digital SLR backs just fine. I have a 105mm f/2.5 too.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I want to be able to meter and use aperture-priority mode, so I am planning to use it on my F100 for now. I'll wait for the Fuji S5. I still haven't ruled out the D200, although I'm not excited about its issues. Preferably a 5D competitor would appear first.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I passed on a 85/f2 which costs twice as much, and from some comment I read, this was the right choice.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I want to be able to meter and use aperture-priority mode, so I am planning to use it on my F100 for now. I'll wait for the Fuji S5. I still haven't ruled out the D200, although I'm not excited about its issues. Preferably a 5D competitor would appear first.

Yeah, those Fuji cameras really do seem great if they can improve the dynamic range by 2 EV. I know it's only in the highlights, but I guess you can just overexpose a little bit on purpose to get better exposure in darker areas while still maintaining details in bright areas.

I don't really know the details or how having 2 photodetectors on one site will work without increasing the noise (the main sensor needs to be smaller, no?), or how it's not considered a 6 MP camera rather than the 12 MP that they claim, but it still looks very interesting because of what I shoot (ie: not sports or anything that requires a HUGE buffer for continuous shooting).

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
About the lens:

Is it normal that the aperture ring has almost no detents? What happens if you set the aperture between two numbers?

Aperture priority on the F100 seems to work, but the control display just shows F-- for the aperture info. So this is not read out with the coupler? What does the coupler do?

Besides that, when the lens is on the camera, moving the aperture ring makes a little springy sound at some point.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
About the lens:

Is it normal that the aperture ring has almost no detents? What happens if you set the aperture between two numbers?

Aperture priority on the F100 seems to work, but the control display just shows F-- for the aperture info. So this is not read out with the coupler? What does the coupler do?

Besides that, when the lens is on the camera, moving the aperture ring makes a little springy sound at some point.

The ring should have a small detent (sp?) or click at each f-stop. you need this so you can count f-stops. All Nikon lenses have this. Good that you got that 30 day warenty

I don't have an F100. Can't answer that one.

On older AIS camera the f-stop display was optical. Either a mirror that let you look at the aperture ring through the view finder or you simply tilted the camera and looked at the lens, or counted clicks. The LCD display I think was always driven by the electronics in the lens.

The coupler ring is an analog device. It was a resister with a sliding contact. But like I said I don't have an F100. It's job is to give input to the meter

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Well, the detents are there but they get smaller towards the f2.

There's an apparent detent at f2 but the ring can travel a tiny bit more till the end. The shutter speed changes between these two positions.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I took it out for a walk today with the F100. We'll see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.