Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trulyhung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
Hi everyone, I ordered an HP SM951 SSD - AHCI, and figured an SSD is an SSD. When I installed it with a PCMIe adapter, it shows up as "windows recovery" and "drive" I reformatted to Mac Journaled, but it won't let me delete the partitioned part. And it's showing up as 2 external drives.

My questions is: how do I make this one internal drive that I can use as a boot drive for me MP?

Thoughts?

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
Wipe it from terminal.
diskutil list - to find what drive it is
diskutil unmount disk /dev/disk5
sudo gpt destroy /dev/disk5

Reactions: Fooze

trulyhung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
Wipe it from terminal.
diskutil list - to find what drive it is
diskutil unmount disk /dev/disk5
sudo gpt destroy /dev/disk5

THanks Saulinpa, I'm such a newb. Are those the commands I should type into Terminal?

once I find out what drive it is
Do I type in each of those commands?

what do I type in exactly?

do i replace "/dev/disk5" with the drive name?

Thank you so much for your help.
[doublepost=1523129686][/doublepost]
THanks Saulinpa, I'm such a newb. Are those the commands I should type into Terminal?

once I find out what drive it is
Do I type in each of those commands?

what do I type in exactly?

do i replace "/dev/disk5" with the drive name?

Thank you so much for your help.
OK was able to wipe the drive. How do I set it to become an internal drive and use it as a boot drive? Any ideas anyone?

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
If you wiped it you can go into Disk Utility, select the drive and the then the Erase button.
you want the format to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and the Scheme to be GUID Partition map.

After that you can either install MacOS on the drive or copy your current drive over (look up recovery mode and restore function).

Reactions: h9826790

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
As long as the drive is mounted in a PCIe slot, it will always be labeled as an external drive. But, that really doesn't matter IMHO. It can be a boot drive, no problem.

Lou

trulyhung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
As long as the drive is mounted in a PCIe slot, it will always be labeled as an external drive. But, that really doesn't matter IMHO. It can be a boot drive, no problem.

Lou
Thanks Flowrider and Saulinpa, finished the setup thanks to your help and it's smooth like butter. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.