Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those with AppleCare+ for your phone, do you use a case?

• I always use a case

Votes: 114 60.3%
  • I never use a case

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • I sometimes use a case

Votes: 43 22.8%

• Total voters

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Also remember that just because you have AC+ you may not receive a new replacement device. You may receive a refurbished unit.

DarkHorsed

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Elm Springs, AR
From my original iPhone all the way to my XS Max, I've never used a case. I skipped the 11, 12, and 13 series iPhones and only used a case on my 14 Pro Max that I bought last year because it felt sharp in my hands and the fingerprints were horrible on the stainless steel frame. I'm back to using no case with my 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: christlinah

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
Accidents happen

Which is why AppleCare+.

I also have AppleCare+. I'm just saying these are two different things (case? AppleCare+?) and, also, that despite having AppleCare+, I treat my phone as if I don't have it.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
That’s from a guy trying to sell you something.

Here is the verbiage from the AC+ contract

Sections 4.a - what is NOT covered
Ya, I have a feeling Apple employees are instructed to push AppleCare+. I have never gotten it before and I have never needed it since I've always used a case and a screen protector. If I continue using a case and a screen protector, the probability of me needing AppleCare+ is low and I'm inclined to skip it. But if I go without a case and appreciate the design of the phone, even if I'm careful, the risk of something happening is higher, and then I'm inclined to keep AppleCare+. I'm guessing whether Apple decides if the cosmetic damage is covered or not largely depends on who is helping me out at the Apple store, so I imagine my mileage may vary.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
AppleCare+ does not cover cosmetic damage.
What? Yes it does… that is exactly what it covers. I dropped my iPhone 13 Pro in a parking lot over the summer and the sides got scuffed up and screen had some minor scrapes but no cracks or anything. I got a complete replacement, brand new phone, for $100.

I went into the support app and requested a replacement due to screen damage (the scratches) and they sent me a new phone in 2 days along with a box to ship the old one back. It was fast and simple.

Last edited:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
What? Yes it does… that is exactly what it covers. I dropped my iPhone 13 Pro in a parking lot over the summer and the sides got scuffed up and screen had some minor scrapes but no cracks or anything. I got a complete replacement, brand new phone, for $100.

I went into the support app and requested a replacement due to screen damage (the scratches) and they sent me a new phone in 2 days along with a box to ship the old one back. It was fast and simple.
A scuffed up screen does affect the functionality of the device as it’ll severely affect the user experience.

Scuffed up sides do not.

Reactions: phillytim

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
A scuffed up screen does affect the functionality of the device as it’ll severely affect the user experience.

Scuffed up sides do not.
Honestly the scuffed up sides ruined my experience significantly more than the screen. It landed in the corner, so the rough edge against my palm annoyed me so much that that’s what ended up getting me to submit the request for a replacement. The screen scratches were extremely minor.

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
I always get AppleCare plus monthly with theft & loss until I get rid of the phone then I can cancel. The coverage is the same. However, if you drop your phone you’ll just have to deal with not having one for quite a while unless you live close to an Apple Store to exchange it. But I would always use a case. Too much cosmetic damage takes place when not using a case. Scratches to the frame, to the optic camera glass, so keeping a case on the iPhone is ideal for me. Plus I get to change them out often because I have several, depending on the look that I want that day. Also, not using a case makes the phone slippery, especially if you have dry hands.

I really like this UAG Monarch pro. Pricey but nice

View attachment 2296304
I’ve got the same one, it certainly was pricey ha but I figure I’m protecting a $2000 dollar device, what’s $100 bucks to ensure it’s protected well. Love the look and it seems grippy enough so far. The buttons really impress me. Very clicky

Reactions: ToddH

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I’ve got the same one, it certainly was pricey ha but I figure I’m protecting a $2000 dollar device, what’s $100 bucks to ensure it’s protected well. Love the look and it seems grippy enough so far. The buttons really impress me. Very clicky
Nice! I’m glad I’m not the only one around here that likes cases and likes this one. I do like the feel of it. 25’ drop protection seems far fetched, but if true, then that an added bonus.

Reactions: LionTeeth

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
One thing I’ll add… if you don’t mind scratches and small dings on your new beautiful iPhone, then don’t use a case. I like the iPhone 15 pro max without a case, but only at home for a short while and then a case is returned to it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Honestly the scuffed up sides ruined my experience significantly more than the screen. It landed in the corner, so the rough edge against my palm annoyed me so much that that’s what ended up getting me to submit the request for a replacement. The screen scratches were extremely minor.

• AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1)

Source: Apple

Scuffs to the side are considered cosmetic. Looks like it was the screen scratches that resulted in a replacement device.

If you could just replace your phone whenever it became scuffed up, everyone would do that and AC+ would no longer be viable because it would cost 10x more as a service.

Reactions: phillytim

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
• AppleCare+ does not cover your Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, iPhone or iPod for loss or theft, wear and tear, or for cosmetic damage which does not affect the functioning of the device (see clause 5.1)

Source: Apple

Scuffs to the side are considered cosmetic. Looks like it was the screen scratches that resulted in a replacement device.

If you could just replace your phone whenever it became scuffed up, everyone would do that and AC+ would no longer be viable because it would cost 10x more as a service.
Well there is 2x accidental replacements that you have a deductible for. So if the iPhone gets damaged bad enough, it can be replaced with the accidental replacement policy.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Well there is 2x accidental replacements that you have a deductible for. So if the iPhone gets damaged bad enough, it can be replaced with the accidental replacement policy.
That’s if the damage affects the functionality of the device. You will be charged the full amount for a repair if the damage is merely cosmetic.

That’s why there are users on this forum who purposely damage their phones so that they can fulfil the requirements of AC+.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Also remember that just because you have AC+ you may not receive a new replacement device. You may receive a refurbished unit.
You would not receive a “refurbished” device as an AC+ replacement. You might get a remanufactured device… but the external case, display, and battery would all be brand-new.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
At least where I live you're eligible for an unlimited number of replacements after accidental damage. You just have to pay the deductible.

KnownSyntax

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
I would suggest at least a screen protector since even with the ceramic shield screen, it tends to have micro scratches appear rather easily from getting taken out and put back into pockets. Otherwise, I tend to use a case for that reason alone (and to protect the overall cosmetic condition of the phone) without needing to always pay a bi-yearly deductible to make it appear as new (and use AppleCare+ for actual damages like a cracked screen or other malfunctions with the phone past the first year warranty).

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Applecare+ does cover damage that is accidental, cosmetic or under warranty. The former two with a deductible (Applecare Regular does not), BUT you are only allowed two repair cases within a 12 month period, so it is not bottomless.
AC+ allows unlimited accidental repairs and has for a while now (this is UK and I think EU: don’t know about the rest of the world)

Reactions: krspkbl

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
Which is a non-issue with iPhones since housing and battery are new. With other manufacturers you can actually get replacement devices that show some wear so Apple is much better in this regard. And unless it's an express replacement Apple will likely attempt to fix the device first before exchanging it.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i bought the AC+ theft/loss and i use a case with screen protector. i like to take care of my things. my screen protector and case on my old 12 Pro Max saved me more than a few times. A couple times I dropped it face down and if it wasn't for the protector then my front glass would've shattered for sure. if i didn't have a case then the back glass would likely have smashed and the frame definitely would've been a mess from general usage.

at a push i would stop using a case but no way i'd ever ditch the screen protector. many people don't care/want to use their phone "naked" and are happy to completely rely on AC+.

even though i have ac+ i try to prevent damage. i hope i never have to use AC+. it's there for peace of mind incase something happens but i am always going to try minimize the risk by taking simple steps to take care of it.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria
i bought the AC+ theft/loss and i use a case with screen protector. i like to take care of my things. my screen protector and case on my old 12 Pro Max saved me more than a few times. A couple times I dropped it face down and if it wasn't for the protector then my front glass would've shattered for sure. if i didn't have a case then the back glass would likely have smashed and the frame definitely would've been a mess from general usage.

Tbh the iPhone can take a lot of abuse... I've dropped my naked 14P a couple of times from different heights and on different surfaces and except for a tiny dent on the stainless steel band there's no sign of wear to be seen.

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
no way i'd ever ditch the screen protector.
With a fall you can't be sure the screen protector actually helps at all. If it breaks it doesn't mean the glass would have too, some of these protector manufacturers make claims that I don't know where they come from. Testing this would require a controlled identical drop repeated many times with and without the protector and then checking if that protector actually made a significant difference over hundreds of drops. And then you gotta do that from various angles and even if the results show a difference, that result is only valid for that one particular protector on that particular iPhone model.

I slightly doubt any such accessoires manufacturer does that kind of testing, just think about the amount of broken iPhones they'd go through. Even if they claimed to have tested it, who knows if they really have. So all the claims that these screen protectors do anything more than prevent scratches I just can't take seriously.

About not wanting to use AC+... on the off-chance that I really smash the screen the replacement fee of $29 is so very low that I don't even worry about it. You are already paying for AC+! Usually you get the phone back within one week, I have an older SE in the drawer if that ever happens.

I understand not ever wanting to use insurance for things like your house burning down, obviously you'll hopefully never have to use insurance like that. Or totalling a car. These are all major headaches. A smashed iPhone screen is a 5 minute walk to an Apple Store for me, that's merely a small inconvenience.

I don't want to spend $999 on a flagship phone with high quality materials and great looking finish only to hide that away to protect it.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
With a fall you can't be sure the screen protector actually helps at all. If it breaks it doesn't mean the glass would have too, some of these protector manufacturers make claims that I don't know where they come from. Testing this would require a controlled identical drop repeated many times with and without the protector and then checking if that protector actually made a significant difference over hundreds of drops. And then you gotta do that from various angles and even if the results show a difference, that result is only valid for that one particular protector on that particular iPhone model.

I slightly doubt any such accessoires manufacturer does that kind of testing, just think about the amount of broken iPhones they'd go through. Even if they claimed to have tested it, who knows if they really have. So all the claims that these screen protectors do anything more than prevent scratches I just can't take seriously.

About not wanting to use AC+... on the off-chance that I really smash the screen the replacement fee of $29 is so very low that I don't even worry about it. You are already paying for AC+! Usually you get the phone back within one week, I have an older SE in the drawer if that ever happens.

I understand not ever wanting to use insurance for things like your house burning down, obviously you'll hopefully never have to use insurance like that. Or totalling a car. These are all major headaches. A smashed iPhone screen is a 5 minute walk to an Apple Store for me, that's merely a small inconvenience.

I don't want to spend $999 on a flagship phone with high quality materials and great looking finish only to hide that away to protect it.
Screen protectors only work as intended if you have your phone in a case with raised edges. Without a case, the screen becomes susceptible to damage as a knock on the edge of the device will render the screen protector useless.

I’ve dropped my phones over a hundred times over 6 years and none of them have sustained any damage nevermind a cracked screen.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
People have literally been doing this for years. They’ll get a replacement right before the new phones come out so they can get maximum resale value. I’ve seen it mentioned multiple times over the years.

Reactions: onFIRE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.