Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

For those with AppleCare+ for your phone, do you use a case?

• I always use a case

Votes: 114 60.3%
  • I never use a case

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • I sometimes use a case

Votes: 43 22.8%

• Total voters

Ifti

macrumors 601
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I always use an Apple Silicon case.
The Applecare+ covers me for loss or theft, and should the screen get damaged (I don't use any screen protectors), or anything else. I wouldnt go caseless on purchase because I have Applecare - I use it as a failsafe option.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
People have literally been doing this for years. They’ll get a replacement right before the new phones come out so they can get maximum resale value. I’ve seen it mentioned multiple times over the years.
They destroy their own phone first though as cosmetic only damage does not fulfil the requirements of an AC+ replacement. It isn’t hard to crack the screen or glass back by dropping it a few times on the ground.

Very immoral though as they are essentially committing fraud.

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
Same for me
Got the 15 Pro (coming from 13 Pro Max) and AC+.

I couldn't use the 13 PM without a case, it was sharp, hard to hold and just too big. 11 PM the same, tho it was not as sharp.

15 Pro, on the other hand, got 2 cases. I use them barely, the phone is so comfy to use it naked. But I have the Magsafe wallet on it too most of the time.

I don't usually drop them (like, I've never broke a phone screen since 2008 I think).

When I put a case on it, I feel like it makes it so bulky

Also, I asked them actually, because I always trade in phones in pristine condition:

Does small scratches/ cosmetic scratches matter?
The answer was no, as long as the screen is not damaged, phone not bent or other physical damage. But even if, I can change it on AC+ before trade in lol.

edit, my 11 PM had a pretty deep scratch on the screen (I think due to keys), but not shattered, and got max trade in value.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
They destroy their own phone first though as cosmetic only damage does not fulfil the requirements of an AC+ replacement. It isn’t hard to crack the screen or glass back by dropping it a few times on the ground.

Are you an Apple employee? I feel like you’re policing this thread hard for some reason. Yet it also feels like you haven’t actually used AppleCare+.

I’ve had it for years and only had to use it once so far. But the process was simple, seamless, and hassle-free. Even for my barely-damaged with minor scuffs, fully functional phone.

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
Tbh I don't care about few fine scratches on sides and screen (the screen gets micro scratches in time). As long as they don't drop the trade in value.

It's like the leather patina, it tells the story in time of that phone: Oh look, here my husband caught me cheating and I dropped my phone cos I was scared, so there's a little dent on the corner. Not big, but it's a memory.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Are you an Apple employee? I feel like you’re policing this thread hard for some reason. Yet it also feels like you haven’t actually used AppleCare+.

I’ve had it for years and only had to use it once so far. But the process was simple, seamless, and hassle-free. Even for my barely-damaged with minor scuffs, fully functional phone.
I have never used AppleCare+ because I always use a case and screen protector with my iPhones. I am pointing out the T&Cs on Apple’s own website along with comments made by users on this forum.

There are obviously exceptions where cosmetic damage may be accepted, but that does not generally appear to be the case.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
With a fall you can't be sure the screen protector actually helps at all. If it breaks it doesn't mean the glass would have too, some of these protector manufacturers make claims that I don't know where they come from. Testing this would require a controlled identical drop repeated many times with and without the protector and then checking if that protector actually made a significant difference over hundreds of drops. And then you gotta do that from various angles and even if the results show a difference, that result is only valid for that one particular protector on that particular iPhone model.

I slightly doubt any such accessoires manufacturer does that kind of testing, just think about the amount of broken iPhones they'd go through. Even if they claimed to have tested it, who knows if they really have. So all the claims that these screen protectors do anything more than prevent scratches I just can't take seriously.

About not wanting to use AC+... on the off-chance that I really smash the screen the replacement fee of $29 is so very low that I don't even worry about it. You are already paying for AC+! Usually you get the phone back within one week, I have an older SE in the drawer if that ever happens.

I understand not ever wanting to use insurance for things like your house burning down, obviously you'll hopefully never have to use insurance like that. Or totalling a car. These are all major headaches. A smashed iPhone screen is a 5 minute walk to an Apple Store for me, that's merely a small inconvenience.

I don't want to spend $999 on a flagship phone with high quality materials and great looking finish only to hide that away to protect it.

I'm not sure when we as consumers became obsessed about maintaining devices in pristine condition - I remember the days of the shiny backed iPods that looked like they'd been attacked by a scotchbrite pad 5 minutes after unboxing them and no-one cared

I don't use a case but I can't bring myself to ditch the screen protector because while I don't mind scratches anywhere else, even the smallest of scratches on my screen drives me crazy to the extent I can't use the device any more (which I know is completely irrational but as humans, we're not always rational!).

Strangely enough, when I get a scratch on my screen protector I can tolerate it for quite a while (which I think is because I know I can just get rid of it by changing the screen protector).

Reactions: okkibs

tarikfransson

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2023
I bought a new iPhone 15 Pro and the guy at the store suggested I get AppleCare+, so I did since I learned it can be paid monthly. From what it sounds like, if any physical damage happens to the phone, I can get it fixed or replaced. With that, is it worth using a case at all? Seems like I can appreciate the design of the phone without a case since I have AppleCare+. Curious what others do.
but you should use the case anyway

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
Strangely enough, when I get a scratch on my screen protector I can tolerate it for quite a while (which I think is because I know I can just get rid of it by changing the screen protector).
My 13PM screen protector was shattered in a corner like half an inch and 2 other corners were falling apart for a year until I got the 15 P. Didn't mind at all, but if would have been the real screen I would have been in deep depression 😅

Reactions: Phil A.

christlinah

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2022
Austria

Not really since you're paying your deductible anyway. Also I'm pretty sure Apple knows very well that people are doing it as their statistics surely show the increased amount of cases during launch day, yet they even upped the amount of accidental damage repairs from 2x to unlimited...

Is it morally questionable due to unnecessary creation of waste and logistics? Probably. Can it be considered "fraud"? No.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not really since you're paying your deductible anyway. Also I'm pretty sure Apple knows very well that people are doing it as their statistics surely show the increased amount of cases during launch day, yet they even upped the amount of accidental damage repairs from 2x to unlimited...

Is it morally questionable due to unnecessary creation of waste and logistics? Probably. Can it be considered "fraud"? No.
If you torch your own car and claim it on your insurance, you should get a payout after paying a deductible however it is still fraud as you’re claiming out of false pretences.

It doesn’t affect me though as, like I said, I don’t use the service. If people want to commit fraud and increase the cost of AC+ it’s not like the costs are coming out of my pocket. The people affected are those who pay for the service and use it as intended.

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
Applecare+ does cover damage that is accidental, cosmetic or under warranty. The former two with a deductible (Applecare Regular does not), BUT you are only allowed two repair cases within a 12 month period, so it is not bottomless. Plus, depending on part availability and speed of service, getting it repaired can range from a couple hours to DAYS without your device, or a lender in hand.

So best to avoid the cost of money and time altogether with a case and screen protector. Not to mention the gas and time it will take to get the device into the store, check-in, and pick up. All of this most likely happening on a week day during or after work.

It’s unlimited number of incidents here in Australia

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I fall into the "I sometimes use a case" category. For 3G, 4, 5, no case. But when I got the 6+ I felt it was too big to not have one. X, and current 13 Pro similarly had/have cases. In the early days my attitude was if I damage my phone I have another one coming up in 2 years. But now that I keep my phone longer I am a little more nervous. The funny thing is that I have AC+, and Cell Phone protection from a credit card on my 13 Pro but I still keep it in a case. Every so often I take it out for a few days and love it! Then I feel compelled to go back. I'm hoping to break this habit of using a case in the future. :)

puggles

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Ouch. That fast? That’s one reason I can’t go caseless.
Yeah. I'm not sure if it came like this but it's literally just been in a pocket or resting on the magsafe wallet on a table.

mKedY6H.jpg

okkibs

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2022
I don't use a case but I can't bring myself to ditch the screen protector because while I don't mind scratches anywhere else, even the smallest of scratches on my screen drives me crazy to the extent I can't use the device any more (which I know is completely irrational but as humans, we're not always rational!).
I understand that. When I sold my previous iPhone to someone I inspected it carefully and took photos, and suddenly there were scratches visible. But when I actually looked at the screen when it's turned on they were invisible. Never managed to get scratches that are visible with the screen on.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I use a case and screen pro, but I must say the 15 Pro Max feels really good in the hand without one. I often find myself taking it out of the case to hold and use when at home.

I also have AC+. I’m one of those guys that rarely drops his phone and never buys insurance, but my SO had a mishap at a theme park recently–completely mangled her device. That and my hope to break my annual upgrade cycle with this 15PM convinced me to give AC+ a spin, especially for her. Lol

Reactions: onFIRE

FuriousD

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
UK
Do most people pay monthly for AC+ or upfront? I am in the UK so prices are £11.99 per month or £239. I have never bought it before for my phones. If you go for the 2 years can you extend with monthly payments after the 2 year period ?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I'm not sure when we as consumers became obsessed about maintaining devices in pristine condition - I remember the days of the shiny backed iPods that looked like they'd been attacked by a scotchbrite pad 5 minutes after unboxing them and no-one cared
I think the difference is that the iPod was usually just in the pocket. While I have like 7-8h screen time daily on my iPhone.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Even if you upgrade every year I would think it's cheaper to buy 2 years and then just cancel and get your money back.
in the US $199 vs $239.76

After 2 years you can still keep AC+ on a monthly basis.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I use a case for 6 months and no case for 6 months. Never fails, I always crack my screen about a month or 2 before new phones come out, but it’s only a $30 replacement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.