Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I got my D300 back from Nikon yesterday, and I'd forgotten how heavy it is. I'd gotten used to my cheap, lightweight but still formidable N80. I had to send it in because of backfocusing issues, and I'm pleased to report that the recalibration appears to have worked :).

Of course, now that I've gotten into street photography, I'm not sure how good it'll be for that particular use. I needed it for sports, and I was constantly betrayed by backfocusing problems.

Anyone else have a good repair experience?

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Dropped an 18-200mm when it was practically new, the lens itself seemed undamaged but it had a UV filter on it that shattered. Some of the glass made its way into the lens so it would "catch" while zooming and focusing.
Was less than 2 weeks from the time I shipped to recieved back and it was better than new. I never did experience the zoom creep so many complain about with that lens but it definetly had a better feel when I got it back.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I sent my 24-70 in to them a few weeks ago, it took them nearly 10 days to fix it. Absurd... it was NPS, everything, and I called them to put a rush on it (twice). I needed the lens faster, and they just seemed unwilling to do it.

Although, it was funny, when I first asked how long the wait would be, phone support said they were behind schedule in NY; 4-6 weeks. I identified this as an NPS case and that turned it into 2-4 days (claimed; realistically it was longer).

The consolation to the lengthy wait was that they returned it via overnight FedEx, just as I'd sent it overnight.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
My 80-200 is with them now, and I just approved the repair estimate a couple of days ago. They need to replace the AF-S motor, and the lens needs cleaning and adjustment. We'll see how it does when it comes back. This is what it needs to beat: http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/18892-2/80-200_resolution.jpg

I got the lens back today, and they did a nice job with it. They received the lens on the 12th, so that's a 2 week turnaround. They replaced the focus motor, lens mount, and a cracked lens scale cover, and cleaned and adjusted the lens. The post repair resolution test is here: http://www.coates3.com/modules/gallery2/d/18986-1/80-200_resolution_post-repair.jpg. It wasn't inexpensive, but I didn't expect it to be (~$325 with shipping). Big improvement.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I sent my 24-70 in to them a few weeks ago, it took them nearly 10 days to fix it. Absurd... it was NPS, everything, and I called them to put a rush on it (twice). I needed the lens faster, and they just seemed unwilling to do it.

Although, it was funny, when I first asked how long the wait would be, phone support said they were behind schedule in NY; 4-6 weeks. I identified this as an NPS case and that turned it into 2-4 days (claimed; realistically it was longer).

The consolation to the lengthy wait was that they returned it via overnight FedEx, just as I'd sent it overnight.

Yeah both Nikon and Canon have insainly fast turn around times for repair.

I sent a EF 50mm f/1.4 to Canon via FedEx 2 day on a Monday, they got it on Wednesday, fixed it, shipped out Friday via FedEx 2 day and I got it back on the following Monday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.