Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey folks,

I just thought I would share my good news with you guys. I got one of my recent images published in Britain's biggest photo mag!

Here it is:

DSC0725WEB.jpg

It was published in November's issue of Digital Camera Magazine (http://www.dcmag.co.uk).

David

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I haven't been published, but I've had a photo circulate around the internet. Fortunately, only I have the full, un-cropped version so I can prove it was my photo.

Good job getting published! Hopefully there will be more of that for you in the future.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, I'd like to know as well just out of curiosity. Do they pay you for the photo, or is it one of those, "And here are the Top 10 Photos of the Week" type of deals where you should be happy just to be published? I wouldn't matter either one. I'd just be too happy to say anything.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah, I'd like to know as well just out of curiosity. Do they pay you for the photo, or is it one of those, "And here are the Top 10 Photos of the Week" type of deals where you should be happy just to be published? I wouldn't matter either one. I'd just be too happy to say anything.

Basically, there is a section in the monthly magazine called 'Hotshots' where you can submit your entries and the best few will be put in the magazine with a photo of yourself and an abstract about how/why/where the images was taken.

I didn't get paid for it, but just seeing your image on a full page of one of the best photography magazines available was more than enough.

Thanks for all of your comments,

David

P.S. For anyone who is interested, the image was captured on a recent trip to the French Riviera where I was trying to highlight the change in architecture through the times. This shutter was on a very old building across from the very modern MAMAC (museum of modern art in Nice), and I converted to a high constrast B&W mode as I felt that worked well.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Congratulations David, I used to read dcmag and I know that the competition for hotshots is stiff. I submitted once as well and was asked to provide a hi-res copy, but I'm not sure if they ever published it as I missed the next two issues.

Do you ever hang out on the forums at dcmag.co.uk?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Congratulations David, I used to read dcmag and I know that the competition for hotshots is stiff. I submitted once as well and was asked to provide a hi-res copy, but I'm not sure if they ever published it as I missed the next two issues.

Do you ever hang out on the forums at dcmag.co.uk?

Sometimes I do, yes, although I much prefer the DPReview forums and until recently those at http://www.fuji-forum.co.uk

Your image may have been published, I have most issues from the last few months and could check to see if your image is there if oyu give me the title!

Thanks for your kind words.

David

brett33

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2004
Waco, TX
Congrats on being published.

Just to let you know, the reach of that magazine stretchs all the way here deep in the heart of Texas. I swear, y'all have the best photo magazines (actually your magazines in general are better). Now I can't say that I buy the magazine all the time, but I definitely read every issue. The Photo mags from Britain typically run $9-$19, so I usually read them at Barnes and Noble and only buy if there are a bunch of useful articles.

Once again congrats on the publication and I'm jealous of the quality of your magazines.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Congrats on being published.

Just to let you know, the reach of that magazine stretchs all the way here deep in the heart of Texas. I swear, y'all have the best photo magazines (actually your magazines in general are better). Now I can't say that I buy the magazine all the time, but I definitely read every issue. The Photo mags from Britain typically run $9-$19, so I usually read them at Barnes and Noble and only buy if there are a bunch of useful articles.

Once again congrats on the publication and I'm jealous of the quality of your magazines.

Thanks Brett, I do agree that our imaging mags in particular are great. DCMag is without a doubt the best IMO.

Mac mags are not so good over here in general, but iCreate (formerly MacCreative) is superb but expensive at £6 an issue.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.