Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
I made a thread last week asking which lenses I should get (my parents and sister both wanted to get me some camera equipment). When I quickly learned that the lenses I should get would be rather expensive as a birthday gift, I told my sister to get me a Nikon Accessory kit (simple case with an extra battery for my D40x).
Well, before she ordered it for me, she had me talk to a friend of hers that was big on photography (her friend was just interested in talking to me about my gear and what not, or so I thought). She asked me about tripods, and I told her I had an okay Sunpak tripod (it was like $45). She told me about looking into a nicer one, something sturdier, made of metal, something that will last me a while. I told her that I did, and since the ones I was looking at were more than I currently wanted to spend (would rather save up for better lenses), I told he I will think about it later.
Well wouldn't you know, those two went shopping for tripods for me. I get a package in the mail, figured it was the accessory kit. Well it was, along with a tripod, ball head, and a remote shutter release thing!! I was shocked, it felt like Christmas!!! (or my birthday ;) ).

What she got me was a Giottos MT-9242 tripod legs and a Giottos MH1001 ball socket base with a MH652 camera mount. The shutter release thing is the Nikon ML-L3 (little wireless module with a shutter button on it).

So what do you guys think, did she do good? I use a D40x and my current lenses are the kit 18-55mm and a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle (weighs about 1lb I think). I will be getting the Nikon 55-200 VR lens from my parents and then will figure out which macro to get later this summer.

I should just hold off on the macro lens and save up for something nice to give to me sister, her Bday is in November, I should start planning from now.

slick316

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Last year I told her I was going to get her an ipod speaker dock so she can listen to music in her office at work. I ended up getting her the speaker dock and an 80GB ipod classic since she mentioned that she has 40GB of music and a 5G 30GB ipod video.
Gonna be hard to get her something this year. I'll keep an ear out for something that she might want/need. I guess I will save up for this mystery present in the mean time, and dream of that macro lens next year.

Now, off to shooting with the new tripod :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.