Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justryanliu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
Hi All,

Just placed an order for a 2019 Mac Pro with the following specs:

16 Core
32GB RAM
2 TB SSD
580x GPU

I have already ordered a set of 128gb RAM and a pcie 4TB SSD card from OWC for further upgrades on my new mac pro. They will all be delivered by Monday and I am really excited about it but i am having trouble looking for a pair of Radeon VIIs for my GPU upgrade. It seems like AMD has discontinued the Radeon VII. Any advices or suggestions on which GPU i should go for the same price as a Radeon VII?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate all the responses in advanced.

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
AMD has discontinued VII start of the bat shortly after release, but it still available on second hand market or eBay.
Unfortunately, Radeon VII are hard to get, even some of eBay sellers had it they tend to inflated the price.

Alternatively there's are 5700XT, or maybe hunt some Vega64 with 16GB VRAM if HBM is your things. AMD soon release 6000 series but MacOS compatibility still not confirmed.

Justryanliu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
AMD has discontinued VII start of the bat shortly after release, but it still available on second hand market or eBay.
Unfortunately, Radeon VII are hard to get, even some of eBay sellers had it they tend to inflated the price.

Alternatively there's are 5700XT, or maybe hunt some Vega64 with 16GB VRAM if HBM is your things. AMD soon release 6000 series but MacOS compatibility still not confirmed.
Thanks for your reply. How does the 5700XT and Vega 64 compare to the VII?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Will you keep the MPX 580X in the system?
Will you use it to drive monitors/displays?
Are you looking for single or multiple GPU upgrade options?
Does Infinity Link make a difference for your workflow and needs?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I’m in the same boat, I have a Vega II but still my davinci resolve is hungry for moooorrrreeee. Contemplating if an overpriced Radeon vii that can’t sleep, or a w5700mpx module makes more sense for me... I have two xdr displays and would like to use them usb3 ports. But then again I’m thinking a 3rd party 6000series might be a better offer for the same price as those used radeons on eBay, if there will be driver support one day... sigh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.