Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

delwynnpawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Canada
Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing well.

Just a quick question, does anyone by any chance have any idea why my screen looks like this? Like the rendering of the transparency/soft blur effect seems messed up, showing weird gradients of unmixed colouring or something. I don't exactly remember when it started being like this, but I do know it wasn't always like this.

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Beta (16E144f) in an early 2011 15" MBP with a matte display and AMD Radeon HD 6750M (1024 MB) graphics card.

I'll appreciate any input! :)

Attachments

• IMG_7138.JPG
    IMG_7138.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 473

delwynnpawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Canada
Bump: weird update, so the banding goes away if I just use the integrated GPU, but of course at the cost of slowed down animations etc. I just think it's weird that's it's the discrete GPU that would have this problem... Usually it's the other way around.

For those of you who have experience with this, do you think the discrete GPU is damaged etc. or is it Sierra that's causing the issue?

Edit: I mean it's still there, but only so slightly it's barely noticeable.

Last edited:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Does it do the same thing on 10.12.3 final release? If not, put it through the Feedback Assistant as beta feedback.

delwynnpawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Canada
Does it do the same thing on 10.12.3 final release? If not, put it through the Feedback Assistant as beta feedback.

I don't think it did (I can't remember for sure, I'm basing off relative memory of how long I've been seeing the issue and when the 10.12.3 was released) as I used to turn off dynamic swithching and just use AMD all the time. So I'm pretty sure it came with the one of the 10.12.4 betas.

And thanks for the advice! I've filed one already but that was before I noticed the integrated GPU thing, so I should file a follow-up with an updated context.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think it did (I can't remember for sure, I'm basing off relative memory of how long I've been seeing the issue and when the 10.12.3 was released)
I do recommend you either create a partition with 10.12.3 or install it on an external drive. When beta testing, it's important to be able to compare issues against the "Stable" release.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
I've noticed the same banding on this beta on my 2011 MBP. It seems to go away after a while when I use Safari, but I am not sure exactly what triggers the fix.

delwynnpawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Canada
I do recommend you either create a partition with 10.12.3 or install it on an external drive. When beta testing, it's important to be able to compare issues against the "Stable" release.

Hmm. I have an external HDD, if I get some free time, I should do that! Might just tell me where the problem is.

I've noticed the same banding on this beta on my 2011 MBP. It seems to go away after a while when I use Safari, but I am not sure exactly what triggers the fix.

Might be the GPU switching too. Unless you have different sets of GPU's? If not, since it's happening both in our early 2011 MBP's, it could also be part of why they recalled logic boards for this model. Hopefully not though since they just replaced mine for free about 4 months ago, and I think the recall program ended Dec. 31, 2016.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.