Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TimmyCrook

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
I’m trying to figure out, how to get better performance for Motion & Adobe after effects. I ordered my Mac pro with 16 Cores and have upgraded to 96 gigs of RAM, I’m running a NVMe RAID where I am seeing incredibly high read write speeds, nothing less than double what the internal SSD has. However, I went with the base model MPX, as I really wasn’t sure what the value proposition would be with the other cards, and the ability to get other graphics cards that are on the market. Looking forward to everyone’s feedback in guidance.

Theophilos

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
California
From what I understand, Adobe apps are more reliant on the CPU. With 16 cores, plenty of RAM, and fast SSDs, you should be in good shape. I think Apple Motion relies more on the GPU. Your Radeon 580 probably won't help much; I think you should consider the forthcoming W5700 when it's released; it seems like an overall better option than even the Vega II because of its newer architecture.

Virtuoso

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle
After Effects is poorly coded for multiprocessing. For some reason they removed the parallel rendering feature about 5 years ago and never replaced it.

You could look into Render Garden to speed things up - I bought it last Black Friday and I'm looking forward to setting it up on my new 16 core MP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.