Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
So just because I was bored today I visited bestbuy's website and wanted to view their open box inventory. They have "excellent condition" 10.5 and 12.9" iPads available to ship for like $100 off MSRP (if I remember correctly). This is a great deal if you are trying to save some cash but still want the latest and greatest!

I've always had great luck with best buy open box items. I have saved a good bit of money over the years buying open box :)

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Are you able to buy Apple Care? I know it has to be within 60 days of purchase, so I wonder if it depends on when it was bought originally.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
They probably have the yellow tint issue lol. I'm going to wait for a price drop + open box discount before I purchase one.

Max Your Macs

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
Daytona Beach, FL
Agreed! I picked up an open box 10.5" last week for $558 Wi-Fi 64GB model. It was perfect, not a mark or fingerprint on it.

But, after playing with it a while, I keep going back to my Gen 1 12.9" Pro. Just cant get readjusted to that smaller screen, as nice as it is. And the TrueTone is garbage IMO. All it does is make the screen ridiculously yellow - and I have tried it in all kinds of lighting. What's the point of upgrading for one of these features if you need to keep it off all the time? The speed is barely noticeable and its a little lighter to hold but you can't beat the larger screen so this 10.5" may be going back to the open box section soon.

Mac Tyson

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Agreed! I picked up an open box 10.5" last week for $558 Wi-Fi 64GB model. It was perfect, not a mark or fingerprint on it.

But, after playing with it a while, I keep going back to my Gen 1 12.9" Pro. Just cant get readjusted to that smaller screen, as nice as it is. And the TrueTone is garbage IMO. All it does is make the screen ridiculously yellow - and I have tried it in all kinds of lighting. What's the point of upgrading for one of these features if you need to keep it off all the time? The speed is barely noticeable and its a little lighter to hold but you can't beat the larger screen so this 10.5" may be going back to the open box section soon.

I just created a thread echoing what you are saying here. I tried the 10.5 but the size of my 1st gen 12.9 was missed and I kept thinking how small the 10.5 is still is. It is very similar to the 9.7.

I also felt the same way with TrueTone. It makes it very yellow at times. I don't know about you but I'd rather see a blue or cold screen than the warm yellow screen...

Reactions: Max Your Macs

nnmr

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2019
I just bought an iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB Geek Squad Certified Open Box in Dec 22, 2018. Here is what I found when received it:

- the box looked old, dirty and used. The plastic wrapper around the iPad was some shopping plastic bag, not the original one. Other accessories were not wrapped and looked used
- checking with Apple support showed that
+ the original buy date was 3 months ago, around Aug. 2018
+ Phone support: EXPIRED
+ Warranty estimated expiry date: Aug. 18 2019. So, the manufacture warranty is only 8 months instead of the full one year.
+ I ran some battery health app and it said Wear level of 35%. Very high!

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
iOS 12 doesn’t report battery statistics to App Store apps. Only way to know is to use coconut battery connected to your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.