Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
Hi All,

I have a problem with an Iphone 8, namely that all photos taken with the back camera have something that looks like a green filter. No filters are applied and its mostly visible in darker environments. If the flash is used they are fine, also the front camera seems ok. Do you have any ideas? This started just after the new IOS update.

Many thanks in advance!

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
if you move the picture over to another device, or like.. as attachment to this thread.. are they still green? (as in, is it physically showing it incorrectly on just your phone, or is it actually storing it greeny)

osse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
if you move the picture over to another device, or like.. as attachment to this thread.. are they still green? (as in, is it physically showing it incorrectly on just your phone, or is it actually storing it greeny)

Hi,

I attached a photo taken with the phone in question. This was sent to another phone and appears like this there as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.JPG
    IMG_2969.JPG
    529.1 KB · Views: 261

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Ah, the well known NSA backdoor for infrared filter that we're not supposed to know about.

Well that's it, you're a spook.

Ok, all kidding aside, that's not even a slight green tint, lol :) damn.. have you talked to apple yet or the company you got the phone from? say ' this is a stock app on stock os on a new phone, i dont trust the camera to be in order, hardware=warranty .. time to swap, ktnx'

edit:
i was thinking you could have a filter on: but there's none that makes a green filter like that
i was thinking you could have magnifier filter on and it might be a bug carried over .. but i checked, they dont have the green color there, and it's extra unlikely.
i was thinking you could have accessibility feature turned on for display accomodation and it looks green to you but not to us, but the attachment clearly shows.

if one cam doesn't do it but a different hardware cam does - you could assume an hardware issue.
But you're not the first one: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5390140?tstart=0 (last post)

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
by the way, if you use another app like instagram or snapchat to take pics with that green-camera, does it also take green pics?

osse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
by the way, if you use another app like instagram or snapchat to take pics with that green-camera, does it also take green pics?

Yes, the color is still green even in apps like Instagram. I think this will be a hardware problem as the front cam seems ok, however it started with the latest update of IOS11..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.