Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
When shooting with the Nikon D80 (18-55mm VR) on manual, about 10 feet from where shade and sunlight meet, why is it that there is a real hazy/grey/low contrast area when shooting groups of people, specifically on the top row? I know it has to do with the meter, but is there a fix without having to buy an expensive light-meter?

Mac-Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Sorry if I was unclear. Here is an example of what I was talking about. And to clarify further, this is not my picture, but I am attempting to solve this problem for a friend.

browne9yc8.jpg

Mac-Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Thanks The3nd, much appreciated. I'll see what I can tell her. Thanks again for the input.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Nobody's smeared a load of vaseline or other grease over the front element have they? You've lost a lot of contrast and that would do it.

Were they using a lens hood? Light hitting the front element directly, say, from the sun somewhere near the frame will screw photos up, sometimes without additional ghosts.

The white balance is also pretty blue for the people, as they're in the shade. Different positioning to get better light would always have helped.

Oh, just to show what a bit of colour tweaking can do: (and this is lame, I'm not at my Mac so had to use the Gimp, which I have no idea in, I hope you don't mind the rehosting):

To me, after fiddling about, this looks like a touch of underexposure due to the sky, a poor whitebalance, and a dirty lens. I might be wrong on the last bit. The first two are things your friend needs to learn about if they're new - metering and colour. There are a number of books and websites which explain them, it's not an equipment thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.