Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trbutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
In my quest to import some 60,000 photos from iPhoto, I've been using some tips to get this setup: an Aperture library on my MBP with masters stored on an external to save space.

I set previews to unlimited size and 9 on JPEG compression to get usable previews for most tasks (especially since I want to do a reference import back into iPhoto to use Faces...).

In any case, something seems amiss. Previews are still being generated (50,000 to go) and my Aperture library file is 57.26 GB (vs. 250GB on the external for the masters, including many RAW files taking up the majority of the space used). I had originally told Aperture to do 12 as the quality setting on previews, but stopped the preview generation, switched it and then told it to generate previews again.

Did I miss a step? It seems like the library should not be THAT large, given that everything other than previews and thumbnails should be on the external.

Thanks,
Tim

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
My balance is 35k images, 46.86GB library with the referenced images being 350GB. Previews are medium 1/2 size. So yes, the library will end up that large.

trbutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
My balance is 35k images, 46.86GB library with the referenced images being 350GB. Previews are medium 1/2 size. So yes, the library will end up that large.

Thanks, Dazey. Ok, here's a bit more of a curiosity. I deleted the previews to try to get a better feel for exactly how much space they were taking up and found that the library is still 39.88 GB. Presumably that means that thumbnails are taking up 40 GB, since those are the only thing left now.

Does this still sound right?

Thanks,
Tim

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
In my quest to import some 60,000 photos from iPhoto, I've been using some tips to get this setup: an Aperture library on my MBP with masters stored on an external to save space.

I set previews to unlimited size and 9 on JPEG compression to get usable previews for most tasks (especially since I want to do a reference import back into iPhoto to use Faces...).

In any case, something seems amiss. Previews are still being generated (50,000 to go) and my Aperture library file is 57.26 GB (vs. 250GB on the external for the masters, including many RAW files taking up the majority of the space used). I had originally told Aperture to do 12 as the quality setting on previews, but stopped the preview generation, switched it and then told it to generate previews again.

Did I miss a step? It seems like the library should not be THAT large, given that everything other than previews and thumbnails should be on the external.

Thanks,
Tim

where is it best to store photos? just thumbnails in folder? or iphoto, aperature? i have aperature, but only used it maybe twice? or is it all just on preference..haven't really messed with iphoto that much, soo maybe thats why i'm asking sucha duumb quetion..lol. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.