Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
ok so im not a proffesional by any means, its just a new hobby. i love taking photos of big landscapes and great engineering achievements i guess, anything i look at and think wow.

anyways, i made a kinda grungey look on one of my pictures and i just wanted some feedback on what you think of it, it wasnt taken on an expensive camera or anything like that because i havent got the money :(, i took it a couple of weekends ago when i was visitng friends up in scotland, they took us to a lil restaurant overlooking the river so i snapped a pic of the view! ive attached the original (shrunk down) and my dark processed version

thnx for looking

Attachments

• forth.jpg
    forth.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 97
  • forth-orig.jpg
    forth-orig.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 105

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
ok so im not a proffesional by any means, its just a new hobby. i love taking photos of big landscapes and great engineering achievements i guess, anything i look at and think wow.

anyways, i made a kinda grungey look on one of my pictures and i just wanted some feedback on what you think of it, it wasnt taken on an expensive camera or anything like that because i havent got the money :(, i took it a couple of weekends ago when i was visitng friends up in scotland, they took us to a lil restaurant overlooking the river so i snapped a pic of the view! ive attached the original (shrunk down) and my dark processed version

thnx for looking

You might try cropping out 1/3rd of the sky at the top, the eye is drawn to the lightest points in an image first, and in this case it spends a bit too much time wandering around the empty sky instead of the moody bridge. I think that'd get more of the effect you're trying for, which I like in this image.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
ok thanks for the tips.

i made the sky smaller, so its a kinda really wide photo, looks cooler.

i made two versions, one dark, and one lighter, which one looks best do you rekon?

do you think this photo is actually any good at all?

Attachments

• forth-2.jpg
    forth-2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 57
  • forth-3.jpg
    forth-3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 58

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
ok thanks for the tips.

i made the sky smaller, so its a kinda really wide photo, looks cooler.

i made two versions, one dark, and one lighter, which one looks best do you rekon?

do you think this photo is actually any good at all?

I like the lighter one. It's really diffcult to evaluate if it's good at this size, but I can see how it would be! I much prefer the cropped version.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
heres another phto of mine that i took in turks and caicos (caribbean) i modded the colours and mood again, i like it although i dont think its as pretty as the bridge

Attachments

• carribean.jpg
    carribean.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 61

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
do you mean the original photo? because i agree it looks beutiful, its a great bridge, but i thought id try and process it abit and change the mood

Edit #2: :D Argh, I don't seem to be saying what I'm trying to say! hehehe I must be caffeine deprived.

I really like the framing as-is with the original photo.

With the processed versions, I think I agree with compuwar - it's more consistent with the way you seem to want it to "feel".

But I really like the original (absent the white blotches) very much.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
The original crop has a more balanced composition, with the weight of the bridge having a nice sense of gravity, being in the lower portion. I like the original crop better. Nice mood changes, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.