Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamG4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Hi, first time poster and admittedly not an expert. I recently installed an "EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Gaming ACX 3.0, 6GB" into my 2010 Mac Pro 5,1. Currently it boots up and I can see an image but the functioning is totally out of whack. All finder windows and other windows lag or smear; they leave behind like a ghosted image that doesn't go away. Performance seems very slow.

I've installed the most updated NVIDIA driver manager and CUDA driver. I've tried powering it two ways: via both a single 6pin to 8 pin cable and via this dual mini 6 pin to 8 pin cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J336WY4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The card powers up both ways but has the same problem both ways. Strangely, when I powered it with the dual mini 6 pin cable, I noticed in activity monitor that the "WindowServer" process under CPU was shooting up to 500-1000% of CPU intermittently. This doesn't seem to be happening with the single 6 pin to 8 pin cable, but the problem with the windows lagging remains.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Web driver and CUDA driver two or three times. I've tried unseating and reinstalling the card physically.

Here are my general specs:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
Processor: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup: Solid State
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6143 MB

NVIDIA Web Driver: 387.10.10.10.40.133 (up to date)
CUDA Driver Version: 418.163

Any help is much appreciated.

joot

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
I would update your security update to the latest update which will give build version 17G11023. To find your build version, go to "about this Mac" , "System Report", scroll down to "software" and in parenthesis after the 10.13.6 (********) is the build version. Then computer will reboot. Then download Nvidia driver version 387.10.10.10.43.134. This is the latest driver. Your CUDA driver is the latest, don't touch that. Before you do all this, make sure you have a bootable gpu (like the GeForce gt 120) in case your screen goes black. This gt120 gpu card will allow you to "see" your desktop in case the driver messes up your computer.

Reactions: AdamG4444

AdamG4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2020
Thanks very much for the replies. The security update did enable a web driver update.
After updating the issue does seem like it has improved somewhat but the windows are still lagging/performance is still slow. They don't seem to "smear" anymore though!

Do you know if I should be powering the card through one or both 6 pin outputs to its 8 pin input? I've tried both and neither solve the issue, but I figure if I have that part set up correctly I can at least eliminate that variable while trying other things. Will try a nvram reset next.

(Also I do have the GT 120 installed as well for troubleshooting)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.