Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ron Harrison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Hi, I currently have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed on my Mac Pro 5,1 (I'm not using bootcamp, Windows is the only OS on the machine) So, I decided to install my GTX 770 because I plan to make this my main computer. I then installed the latest driver and went to run a benchmark of a game. I noticed though that the performance was a bit lower than on my PC when using the same card. I think I remembered hearing something about GPUs that weren't flashed with a Mac compatible BIOS running at a lower PCIE speed so I went and got GPU Z. To my surprise it did indeed say it was running at a PCIE 16X Gen 1.1. Is this a normal thing? I don't imagine it is since I'm pretty sure that the Mac Pro motherboard has supported PCIE Gen 2.0 since the 2008 model. I couldn't find any info online so I thought I'd ask here.

Thank you

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Hi, I currently have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed on my Mac Pro 5,1 (I'm not using bootcamp, Windows is the only OS on the machine) So, I decided to install my GTX 770 because I plan to make this my main computer. I then installed the latest driver and went to run a benchmark of a game. I noticed though that the performance was a bit lower than on my PC when using the same card. I think I remembered hearing something about GPUs that weren't flashed with a Mac compatible BIOS running at a lower PCIE speed so I went and got GPU Z. To my surprise it did indeed say it was running at a PCIE 16X Gen 1.1. Is this a normal thing? I don't imagine it is since I'm pretty sure that the Mac Pro motherboard has supported PCIE Gen 2.0 since the 2008 model. I couldn't find any info online so I thought I'd ask here.

Thank you

Normal. Only flashed card can negotiate at PCIe 2.0 in Windows on cMP.

Ron Harrison

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2017
Normal. Only flashed card can negotiate at PCIe 2.0 in Windows on cMP.

Well that's surprising, I guess I'll do more testing to see how much of an impact it makes. If I'm not mistaken, PCIE 16x at Gen 1 speeds would be equivalent to PCIE 8x Gen 2 and Gen 3 4x?

Thanks for the quick and clear response!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.