Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimitriszikos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2016
Hello,

First post here. Really tried hard to find an answer but no luck, therefore looking for some help!

I am using a Mac Pro 5,1 (12-core) and recently added an evga gtx 980 and I am using a 27 inch LG UHD (3840X2160 native), connected via display port to my mac pro tower. I am running 10.11.6 with the most recent NVIDIA Web drivers 364.03.15f01.

Installing the nvidia web drivers is the only way to go, since the gtx 980 is not internally supported and the image with no drivers is not accelerated, sluggish and barely usable.

Upon nvidia web driver installation, everything became large, fonts icons etc. On the display panel there is selected the Resolution "Default for Display". First I thought that I was getting a UHD resolution with very high dpi's but was wrong. The monitor displays a 1080p image (checked via the system report panel). Shouldn't the "Default for display option" show a full UHD image? Now, the only way to go UHD is via the Scaled option, which should'n be the case. Is this a known issue?

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be highly appreciated!

CreatePro

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
UK
Hi Dimitri, it sounds like your monitor is being scaled at "retina". Retina will show at 1080P size.

Are you able to select scaled in System Preferences>Display and select the desired resolution?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
That's the same behavior I see on with my GTX 980 and 4K monitor. Even on a 5K iMac, the default resolution is scaled to 2560x1440.

I just use the Displays preference panel to change it to whatever I like.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Installing the nvidia web drivers is the only way to go, since the gtx 980 is not internally supported and the image with no drivers is not accelerated, sluggish and barely usable.

I am very surprised that you can see any unaccelerated image without the web driver. I think black screen only if the web driver is not activitied yet. If it's true, it will put the Maxwell card more or less at the same position as the RX480 in term of "convenience".

Anyway, I am with the AMD card, but the default resolution on my LG UHD TV is also 1080p (NOT the HiDPI 1080, but normal 1080). I have to fix it by myself if I want full UHD. So, may be it's the OS behaviour.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I am very surprised that you can see any unaccelerated image without the web driver. I think black screen only if the web driver is not activitied yet. If it's true, it will put the Maxwell card more or less at the same position as the RX480 in term of "convenience".

A flashed card will do what he is describing. That's what mine does.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
A flashed card will do what he is describing. That's what mine does.

I also get this on a Hackintosh with nv_disable=1 in my boot-args to avoid the panic (though that might not even be needed anymore), since the UEFI on my motherboard initializes the GPU enough to display something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.