Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So I just got my 2009 13" MBP back from the Apple store with a new hard drive and hard drive cable as well as a new MagSafe. Despite being out of warranty, the genius didn't charge me since I brought it in for a recurring sleep issue. Unfortunately the sleep issue has come back after 2 days. Are Apple repairs guaranteed? Can I bring it back and get them to finally actually check the logic board?

Last edited:

ericp99

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
So I just got my 2009 13" MBP back from the Apple store with a new hard drive and hard drive cable as well as a new MagSafe.

The parts that they repaired are guaranteed, meaning that if something they repaired suddenly stops working, they will fix it. As to whether or not they will replace more free to fix the issue, I'm pretty sure thats a no. If they agree to replace the hard drive and hard drive cable and those items still work, they did their job. If they determine that the logic needs to be replaced, those repair costs are on you, unless they decide to be nice and do it for free again.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Your fail safe is that there's a paper trail where they've attempted to fix the same problem multiple times. They'll probably do something else next to try to fix it, but failing that you can always escalate the issue with customer relations, and then failing that you always have the option of small claims court. Just make sure that if it goes that far, you have the documents of service history they did on the system to back up your claims. There's a decent chance that it won't come to that though.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Your fail safe is that there's a paper trail where they've attempted to fix the same problem multiple times. They'll probably do something else next to try to fix it, but failing that you can always escalate the issue with customer relations, and then failing that you always have the option of small claims court. Just make sure that if it goes that far, you have the documents of service history they did on the system to back up your claims. There's a decent chance that it won't come to that though.

Yeah unfortunately the paper trail isn't that good. The first time the issue occurred, I took it into the Apple Store, but after that I took it to an Authorized Service Provider while still under AppleCare. This most recent time I took it back to Apple because the AASP closed. I got really lucky with the Genius who looked it over. Unfortunately if they do decide it's a logic board issue and they want to charge me for it, I might as well get a new machine. If they try to tell me it's yet another hard drive and cable, I think I might blow a gasket.

ericp99

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
The hard drive and cable should still be covered under their repair guarantee.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I'm not convinced it's the hard drive or the hard drive cable that's causing the sleep issue. After several replacements of each over time, with no apparent change in behavior, it's probably time that root cause analysis be turned in a different direction.

I would probably wipe the system and do a fresh install of OS X (latest patched version of whatever is on the system .. Snow Leopard if I remember right ... so, 10.6.8,) and not install any other software or attach any peripherals/accessories, just to rule them out as a possible cause. If the issue persists while it's in that state, then it's something that Apple will most likely have to fix.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I'm not convinced it's the hard drive or the hard drive cable that's causing the sleep issue. After several replacements of each over time, with no apparent change in behavior, it's probably time that root cause analysis be turned in a different direction.

I would probably wipe the system and do a fresh install of OS X (latest patched version of whatever is on the system .. Snow Leopard if I remember right ... so, 10.6.8,) and not install any other software or attach any peripherals/accessories, just to rule them out as a possible cause. If the issue persists while it's in that state, then it's something that Apple will most likely have to fix.

Is it possible that it might be a software or peripheral issue? I got it back as a fresh install and restored from Time Machine. My only peripherals are two WD external drives that weren't connected when the sleep issue occurred. Lots of software and files though.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Is it possible that it might be a software or peripheral issue? I got it back as a fresh install and restored from Time Machine. My only peripherals are two WD external drives that weren't connected when the sleep issue occurred. Lots of software and files though.

If there's an app which starts on login, that was restored from your backup, it's possible that it could have something to do with the issue. Just check each app and see if there are any updates available for them. If there are, then update them. If there aren't, I'd go back to the fresh install state, and not restore your backup until you've ruled it out as a piece of the puzzle.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
If there's an app which starts on login, that was restored from your backup, it's possible that it could have something to do with the issue. Just check each app and see if there are any updates available for them. If there are, then update them. If there aren't, I'd go back to the fresh install state, and not restore your backup until you've ruled it out as a piece of the puzzle.

LaunchDaemons are:

com.cloudpath.maccmd.plist (not sure what this is)
com.sophos.autoupdate.plist
com.sophos.intercheck.plist
com.sophos.notification.plist

There's also Dropbox, director docker, and some HP stuff that I would guess is for printers.

Wonder if it's time to get rid of Sophos. I only have it because my school required it to live in the dorms and connect to the Internet.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
LaunchDaemons are:

com.cloudpath.maccmd.plist (not sure what this is)
com.sophos.autoupdate.plist
com.sophos.intercheck.plist
com.sophos.notification.plist

There's also Dropbox, director docker, and some HP stuff that I would guess is for printers.

Wonder if it's time to get rid of Sophos. I only have it because my school required it to live in the dorms and connect to the Internet.

Out of those, I'd say get rid of Sophos first. HP stuff would go next. The HP drivers provided by Apple should be fine.

Cloudpath is a company that develops a product that's used to facilitate access to company or school WiFi networks. You mentioned that your school made you run Sophos while connected to their network. It's possible that the Cloudpath software could be something that they had you use as well. If you no longer go there, or don't access their WiFi anymore, then I'd say it's probably safe to uninstall that as well.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Out of those, I'd say get rid of Sophos first. HP stuff would go next. The HP drivers provided by Apple should be fine.

Cloudpath is a company that develops a product that's used to facilitate access to company or school WiFi networks. You mentioned that your school made you run Sophos while connected to their network. It's possible that the Cloudpath software could be something that they had you use as well. If you no longer go there, or don't access their WiFi anymore, then I'd say it's probably safe to uninstall that as well.

Okay that makes sense now. I still go to the school, I just don't live on campus. They made some changes to the campus wifi last year, so that must be what cloudpath is for.

----------

Okay that makes sense now. I still go to the school, I just don't live on campus. They made some changes to the campus wifi last year, so that must be what cloudpath is for.

I removed sophos and the HP stuff as well as direct docker. Hopefully that helps! I've also gone back to using the menu sleep rather than closing the lid. Disk utility shows no issues with the HDD.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

I also discovered that the sleep settings were reset to factory settings, so I changed those back to my preferred ones. Hopefully that helps too!

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
So I just got my 2009 13" MBP back from the Apple store with a new hard drive and hard drive cable as well as a new MagSafe. Despite being out of warranty, the genius didn't charge me since I brought it in for a recurring sleep issue. Unfortunately the sleep issue has come back after 2 days. Are Apple repairs guaranteed? Can I bring it back and get them to finally actually check the logic board?

sleep problems wouldn't come from drives. thats an os problem.

Mr Retina

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2013

Replacements on all out of warranty parts have a guarantee of 90-Days my friend :)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
sleep problems wouldn't come from drives. thats an os problem.

I'm not so sure it's OS. I just got a fresh install of snow leopard. My Mac originally had leopard, and I'm not sure if the AASP I went to previously did a clean install of snow leopard. Apple did because I had to restore from Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.