Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pikamalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2018
Hey,

I hope you are having a great day.

Yesterday my sister did a 8h video editing in AF and a lot of other stuff in my MacBook as a guest account, we didn’t knew that the files deleted when you log out or when the system shut down, which happened in this case because it ran out of battery.

She is on the border of collapse and I started using this program called Recoverit to recover deleted data and it shows me quite a bit of folders.

https://imgur.com/a/5JYe6a8

This is the root of the system according to the program, do anyone know where is located the deleted guest files?

Which other option should be good to recover those files?

I am deeply grateful if you could help me in this dire situation.

Have a nice day

Attachments

• AAB5C5EE-734D-4F37-80E7-DCD818CB003C.jpeg
    AAB5C5EE-734D-4F37-80E7-DCD818CB003C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 329

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not going to offer much encouragement.
I see several obstacles to getting much (any?) of that data back.

Does the MacBook have an SSD?
If so, is TRIM enabled?
File recovery from an SSD with deleted files can be much more difficult than from a platter-based hard drive.

Seems to me, IF the guest account is automatically deleted at the close of a session, TRIM will make it difficult or impossible to recover files associated with that account.

What program did she use to do the editing?
Where does it store its files?
Were the "lost files" stored OUTSIDE OF the guest account folder?

That's where you might look.

I'm afraid the chances of her getting things back this time aren't good.
But I can offer some advice for THE NEXT TIME she borrows your MacBook to do some editing of "important stuff".

1. Create an account "for her" on the MacBook that WON'T get deleted at the end of a session, with her own username and password.
2. Tell her to BACK UP HER WORK to an EXTERNAL drive for safekeeping.
3. Get her familiar with the "Save" command, and the importance of using it frequently.

Yes, she is hurting now.
But she has to learn about these things to "go forward"...

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.