Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
After returning from a long day of photographing what I commonly refer to as "extreme rural" areas, I thought about how a person without the long contact with typical country folk would react. I realized that it probably would not go entirely well at first go around, so I thought perhaps I could help by writing a guide that other could reference on country etiquette, customs, and a few "must have" gear choices to make the most of it. Its only 7 pages, but I hope to expand it over time. The typical country person is usually a very animated person, and wonderful to photograph. Not to mention you can pretty much dispense with all the release paperwork. Your word is your bond in the country, not to mention most probably wouldn't sign one anyways. But feel free to read it, leave some feed back either here to the email address at the end of the document. Maybe it'll help someone, maybe not, but at least I tried to give something back. Hope you like it.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgxrtndx_16gtkgz4dr

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Am reading through now, seems like a great guide! Small nitpick: Assisted GPS doesn't rely on cell towers to triangulate your position, it just does that first to provide a faster response if cell towers are available to triangulate between that is. It is still true GPS it just uses triangulation to accelerate the process.

However having said that though most GPS on cell phones would be useless as most of them rely on downloading data as you go like Google Maps but if you have a solution like TomTom then it should be fine.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Good guide, and fairly accurate as well. I was born and raised, and still live in Arkansas. I shoot all over central Arkansas. Go 5-10 miles in any direction and you'll find yourself out in "the country."

Saturday, I was in Little Rock, AR most of the day and found time to squeeze in a little photography downtown. Shooting downtown or down in the river market area is much like any other medium to large city. You are free to be aggressive, get up close and personal, photograph people without causing a scene, etc. Wednesday, I'll be in the Glenwood/Amity area with the population somewhere around 3,000 - 5,000 (haven't looked it up, but it's small). Completely different type of shooting in the small town or around the farms. You really need to exhibit some southern hospitality or else. :D

If you're polite and leave arrogance @ the county line, you'll be fine (and surprised how kind many of these folks are!).

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Am reading through now, seems like a great guide! Small nitpick: Assisted GPS doesn't rely on cell towers to triangulate your position, it just does that first to provide a faster response if cell towers are available to triangulate between that is. It is still true GPS it just uses triangulation to accelerate the process.

However having said that though most GPS on cell phones would be useless as most of them rely on downloading data as you go like Google Maps but if you have a solution like TomTom then it should be fine.

Thanks, I guess Ive been misunderstanding the basics about A-GPS, but youre right about the Maps, so I guess in a round about way the advice is still good, just not the background info. Ill change that tomorrow. That is one of the good things about publishing via Google Docs, they host the file and update the Published version when you edit the original.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.