Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
did my Mid 2014 Retina Macbook A1398 get hacked ?? (missed it by two years; its a 2014 vice 2012)

i am on a continuous error loop of some sort.

1. I turn on the Mac.
2. I get a full screen with nothing but this attached message (several languages):

" YOUR COMPUTER RESTARTED BECAUSE OF A PROBLEM.PRESS A KEY OR WAIT A FEW SECONDS TO CONTINUE STARTING UP "
GAcpedp1PrHScuiK7

3. click a key or waiting takes me back to my normal login screen.
4. attempting to log in takes me back to the message.

how do i get out of this loop ?

i tried the esc. key, powering down, cmnd R, the only thing i have not tried is completely cutting power to the Mac by uninstalling and reinstalling the battery which is not an easy task removing the super tiny back cover screws.

i posted here vice the Macbook Pro forum since i think this seems to be a 'software' type of an anomaly rather than Mac-type specific.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
My $0.02 is on hardware. The graphics cards in those models had a massive failure rate and a repair program (since expired, unfortunately).

Reactions: Red Fuji

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
I had to do an erase/reinstall HD/OS. but now OS is at 10.9 Mavericks and it wont update to 10.14 Mojave. this is Macbook Pro Mid 2014 (mistakenly posted 2012) do i need to update one os at a time ?? 10.9 -> 10.10 -> 10.11 -> 10.12 -> 10.13 -> 10.14

and where do i get these downlaods ?
thankfully no hardware issues .

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Here's a direct link to download High Sierra:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?ls=1&mt=12

Once you have downloaded it to your drive (it may go directly into the applications folder), you can use this version of DiskMaker X to create a USB flash drive installer:
https://diskmakerx.com/diskmaker-x-for-macos-10-13-high-sierra-is-ready/

You will need a USB flashdrive 16gb in size.
An 8gb flashdrive -might- work (not sure).

With DiskMaker, it takes only a few mouse clicks to create the flashdrive (give it some time to get done).

Then, boot from the EXTERNAL USB flashdrive installer.
Power down, all the way off.
Press the power-on button and IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and keep holding it down until the startup manager appears.
Select the flashdrive installer with the pointer and hit return.

When you get to the installer, you could try to run it "over" the existing Mavericks installation.
Be aware that one or more reboots may occur, and the upgrade will take some time. BE PATIENT.

I think this can get you "up to" High Sierra. From there you could "move on" to Mojave if you really want, but I'd try HS for at least a week or two to "see how it goes" before trying to go further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.