Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Seems like these are all pretty much okay, but was wondering if anyone had any solid recos. Anybody out there used more than one of these for comparison?

I'm looking for something that can do everything the stock camera app can't do. I can deal with a less-sexy UI if it offers more control, etc.

e.g., I like how Halide opens up Portrait mode for use on non-humans, but Procam6 seems to have better low-light controls. Other apps have enhanced video controls, too, which are key. But I can't seem to tell which one does ALL the cool stuff I'm looking for.

I checked out some YouTube reviews, but nothing seems to pit one vs the others.

Thoughts?

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Adobe Lightroom Mobile has a great RAW camera app built in and is free. I’ve also tried RAW+, which had some issues saving images but seems OK now - it’s free for 100 images with full features, after that you have to pay a few bucks.

Reactions: JungleNYC

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Lightroom is great for denoising. Otherwise, it's bad as a camera app. Slow to launch and then you have to hit the camera button to load the camera(!).

Halide, Moment, and Obscura 2 are all fantastic. Halide is all around great, Moment a close second, however if you use their lens system, their app has settings specific to each lens.

Reactions: Cocoi

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
For over one year, I use Camera-M.

Exposition, Aperture, ISO, all can be set.

If you require professional features, they are included in Camera-M, like live RGB and live RGB Luminance histograms, shooting into RAW, object tracking, image stabilisation (including when shooting into RAW too), support for untouched RAW files, Bracketing, Portrait mode (with TrueDepth-equiped devices). And if you like Siri shortcuts, Camera-M support it.

Supported formats are JPG, RAW (including RAW + JPG), PNG, TIFF, HEIF (in case of JPG and HEIF, option without compression are included too).

There are many other features added over time, just look at App Store, find Camera-M and click on version history. Or click at this link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camera-m/id1239098425?mt=8

I have tested really a lot of apps for taking photos, since 2010 when I got first iOS device, and Camera-M is the best app I used. I strongly recommend it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I like Halide for shooting RAW on my XS Max, Lightroom for processing. Halide has integration with Darkroom but I feel that Lightroom produces a better end product.

Reactions: Cocoi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.