Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Is carrying the camera from the lens barrel safe? Considering that the lens isnt cheap plastic....I see a lot of the reps and professional photographers hold their cameras this way. Any thoughts?

thanx!

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
Is carrying the camera from the lens barrel safe? Considering that the lens isnt cheap plastic....I see a lot of the reps and professional photographers hold their cameras this way. Any thoughts?

Very often the lens itself is heavier than the camera body, so holding the combination by the lens means there is less stress on the joint between the lens and the body.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is carrying the camera from the lens barrel safe?

If the lens is bigger than the camera body then yes. Many times the lens is both bigger and far more expensive.

Also you will notice some lenses are designed with tripod sockets so even the manufacturer intends you to support the lens and attach the body to it.

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
certainly plastic lens mounts wouldn't be a good idea, but even when the lens is of about equal weight as the body it shouldn't matter much how you hold it.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
I usually hold it in between the lens and the body. The spot between my thumb and index finger wraps around the joint where the lens meets the body and wrap my palm around the lens. It works out really well in terms of support, comfort, and safety. It also is good for if I need to shoot something in a snap, very fluid.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
I usually hold it in between the lens and the body. The spot between my thumb and index finger wraps around the joint where the lens meets the body and wrap my palm around the lens. It works out really well in terms of support, comfort, and safety. It also is good for if I need to shoot something in a snap, very fluid.

This is the best explanation for how I carry mine around as well, but a few weeks ago I bought a side-strap (Canon E1) for my 20D + Battery Grip. It works like a champ. I still hold the camera from the main grip, but when I hang my arm down the side-strap allows me to release my grip and the camera essentially hangs from my hand. So far it seems to have saved my back some.

photo.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.