Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matsalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
I don't really know the best site for posting this, but i thought i'd try my luck here.
I have just got a new external hard disk, the Seagate expansion, and i am trying to format it to work on my mac. I was told that i had to erase the disk and format it to OS X Extended (Journal) with the Disk utility program. However, disk utility wont allow me to erase it. It says: Erase-process failed. So i am currently stuck with a hard disk that doesn't work. Any help is appreciated!

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
What was the EXACT error message?
[doublepost=1459888951][/doublepost]In Disk Utility instead of trying to Erase, select Partition, then change the Volume Scheme to 1 Partition, in Options select GUID Partition Table, now click Apply to format the disk for Mac.

Reactions: matsalexander

matsalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
What was the EXACT error message?
[doublepost=1459888951][/doublepost]In Disk Utility instead of trying to Erase, select Partition, then change the Volume Scheme to 1 Partition, in Options select GUID Partition Table, now click Apply to format the disk for Mac.
The problem is that the partition button is greyed out. I will attach som images to help you understand the problem:
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 15.43.55.png

This is the message i receive when i try to erase:
Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 15.49.38.png

If it helps, this is my hard disk, the 2TB version:http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/expansion-portable/

Hope this helps!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
The problem is that the partition button is greyed out. I will attach som images to help you understand the problem:
- Seems to be a problem with the partition map. What happens if you erase the disk itself (the uppermost "Seagate Expansion" listing) rather than the partition, making sure to set Scheme to GUID and Format to OS X Extended?

Reactions: matsalexander

matsalexander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2016
- Seems to be a problem with the partition map. What happens if you erase the disk itself (the uppermost "Seagate Expansion" listing) rather than the partition, making sure to set Scheme to GUID and Format to OS X Extended?
This worked! Can't believe i hadn't tried that! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.