Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
I'm angry at everything here.

I have long backed up my Mac mini with Carbonite and with Time Machine. I figured I'd never have a problem if I had both.

Well, last week, the hard drive on my Mac mini failed. We had to drive 5 hours away to the nearest "Genius Bar." e has to get a hotel, which was fine while I was unaware of the problem which was to happen.

It was still under warranty. When she asked if I'd backed it up, I said yes because it was. Times 2.

So she installed a larger hard drive at no extra charge. Yay. She mailed it to me so we wouldn't have to drive back down.

It took days for Carbonite, and when it was all done, all of the files that had been reinstalled were installed in iCloud with alias on the Mac. And I had run out of iCloud, which I have always hated. But don't worry, they upped the amount I had to pay for iCloud and just kept on going!

So, after talking to Apple four times, none of the "geniuses" were actually correct, but it seemed to me that what I needed to do, which was to move all of the iCloud stuff to the correct place on the Mac and then eventually deleting the aliases. Well, I did that, but it took two day, and there are no more folders on my desktop, just the files that used to be in them. Ok. I think I've dealt with that.

But I can't figure out how to do a couple of things it used to do. For example:

1. My Mac mini, iPhone, and iPad as well as my account on my husband's MacBook Pro used to be synced. If any of them had a login/password, they all had them. I could also copy something from my iPad and paste it into my Mac mini. No more.

2. My password app, mSecure, used to be synched as well, and now, while two of them do, the one on the Mac mini is totally blank.

3. My Garagesale app -- an eBay app I don't expect anyone to know about -- is scattered so far asunder, I don't expect I'll ever get it back, which mean I will be manually trying to pull together more than 4,000 listings until the day I die.

Though it may or may not be related to this mess, I am scheduled to undergo back surgery Tuesday which will keep me in bed for at least a week, which has me freaking out and probably made my reasoning powers less than usual.

If anyone can help me with just one of these problems -- or even part of one of these problems -- I will be forever.

Ugh.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
Because I’m an idiot?

Frankly, no one has ever told me that Time Machine worked at all, let alone better than Carbonite. Now I feel like sobbing!

So, if I have Time Machine going, there is no reason to keep paying Carbonite?

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Because I’m an idiot?

Frankly, no one has ever told me that Time Machine worked at all, let alone better than Carbonite. Now I feel like sobbing!

Yes having a Carbonite or any other equivalent online solution is good to have. Time Machine offers the convenience of backing locally and is much faster on a restore, but being a local backup, let's say [unfortunately] your home is burglarized or burned down and your main computer and backup is gone, then what? This is why a off-site backup is important to have as well.

Reactions: NaimNut

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
Because I’m an idiot?

It is good you have more then 1 backup, while TimeMachine is not a real backup for files you no longer use on your main computer, (older backups get deleted if the drive gets full)
it is good to have a second backup for older important files, and even better to have these off-site :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's nothing that will work better than having a physical backup drive with a CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) bootable cloned backup on it.

Both CCC and SD are FREE to download and try out for 30 days.
I suggest you try them.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Time Machine will beat cloud storage in terms of recovery every time because of the speed of restoring files. I recommend booting your Mac to recovery mode, attaching the Time Machine drive, and restoring that backup.

Keep Carbonite too.

Reactions: NaimNut
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.