Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hi! So I have two external hard drives that I have been using with my Mac no problem. At some point they just stopped connecting. They do not appear anymore. And the drive itself works, it makes noises and the LEDs show activity and then when it doesn't appear in the system it thinks it's idle so it goes to sleep. Both of them do that. I am using Paragon NTFS for Mac add on to write to them but macOS normally recognizes them even without the add-on(just read-only). I connected them to a Ubuntu VM, they work just fine everything is there. So I don't get it. I need to fix this ASAP, I need those drives. Any suggestions?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I need to fix this ASAP, I need those drives. Any suggestions?
Please post your Mac model, year, specifications, and version of macOS and Paragon NTFS for Mac. Have you recently updated either macOS or Paragon NTFS on your Mac? You may have updates being installed automatically. Have you detached the drives, shutdown your Mac, restarted, and reattached the drives?

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hey, so it's a MacBook Air M1 and I am running the latest macOS Sonoma. However I haven't updated Paragon NTFS so I will try that. Also will try restarting my MacBook. The drives are my Passport Ultra 1TB and some Transcend 2TB. They are powered via a usb a cable.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Run a disk check from Windows, Paragon will not mount dirty NTFS.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The drives are my Passport Ultra 1TB and some Transcend 2TB. They are powered via a usb a cable.
I am always a bit nervous of bus powered HDD. Having said that, my wife's Mac mini has had a My Passport connected for nearly 12 years with no issues. If you use them directly connected (not via USB hub) power should not be problem.

Reactions: Miles Fu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.