Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yarcheek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Hi. I'm considering upgrading my notebook (MacBook 2017 for Macbook Pro 13 or Macbook Air). I spend the majority of my time in a variety of web apps.

I was wondering what hardware choices will boost website page rendering performance (speed) the most. Is it RAM? Is it CPU? Is it faster SSD? Is it GPU? Where should I put my money?

Will hardware upgrade noticeably improve my browsing experience at all?

Thank you.

Last edited:

steverp

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2020
In my experience, going from regular hard disk to SSD gives the biggest mind-blowing speed increases! I've never ever ever noticed ANY speed increases to write home about when adding RAM. But SSD.... OMG!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Hard to tell, as all of them contribute to webpage rendering. Networking also has to be accounted for, of course.

I guess that disk speed is not as important as the others though, unless you tend to open many tabs at once; more than your RAM can handle. Safari will start paging data as the memory pressure increases, so having a faster disk can keep your browser responsive.

Web technology is developing quickly, so having a modern CPU and GPU can position you better for the future. RAM is important too, because a fully-rendered web page can be expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.