Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmmMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
I have been using a Mac in some form or another for years. And they have always had a model that I could get excited about when I was looking to upgrade. But I am hugely disappointed by the total lack of a 'reasonable' option in the current market. First, almost all of the current categories are listed as 'Don't Buy' which is correct. I am looking for a Mac that has a quad core i7 processor with 4-8 Gigs of Video and at least 256 GB HD. This seems reasonable until you realize that Mac only has this option if you want to buy a monitor too (iMac) but I don't. Mac Mini is close but no quad core anymore. Mac Pro is all Xeon processors and outdated at that. I don't want a laptop because I am going to use this at home and I resent having to pay for a laptop that will sit on my desk. I was really hoping for a hardware refresh out of the WWDC but now I am considering a PC for the first time in over 15 years. Windows 10 Pro is not bad and Apple seems uninterested in keeping up with the market. Sigh. Just venting.

Reactions: Glmnet1

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
You don't have to go to windows. Linux has a lot of options today, compared to a few years ago.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
You can go with a Linux distro. They come in a variety of flavors. The most popular with new Linux users is Ubuntu. Linux can be themed however you want and the software itself isn't too different than Apple software. Of course, you will run into some issues like not being able to run industry specific software or rather major OS supporting software like Adobe. Of course, as the other person noted, you can also go down the H route. Apparently that's fine to discuss on this site or so I've been told. You will not receive support from Apple, the system is likely to be highly unstable, and it's not worth the time an effort.

mmmmMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
You can go with a Linux distro. They come in a variety of flavors. The most popular with new Linux users is Ubuntu. Linux can be themed however you want and the software itself isn't too different than Apple software. Of course, you will run into some issues like not being able to run industry specific software or rather major OS supporting software like Adobe. Of course, as the other person noted, you can also go down the H route. Apparently that's fine to discuss on this site or so I've been told. You will not receive support from Apple, the system is likely to be highly unstable, and it's not worth the time an effort.

I guess that is part of the issue. I WANT to stay with Mac or another OS that does not force me into using non standard software or limit my ability to work. But Apple doesn't seem interested in making a computer that isn't tied to buying a monitor (iMac), isn't wildly under powered (Mac Mini), doesn't need to be mobile (MacBook or iPad) or that isn't based on outdated CPU configurations (Mac Pro). I have literally been waiting 2 years to replace a 2009 MacBook Pro but I don't want to pay for something I won't use.

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
I guess that is part of the issue. I WANT to stay with Mac or another OS that does not force me into using non standard software or limit my ability to work. But Apple doesn't seem interested in making a computer that isn't tied to buying a monitor (iMac), isn't wildly under powered (Mac Mini), doesn't need to be mobile (MacBook or iPad) or that isn't based on outdated CPU configurations (Mac Pro). I have literally been waiting 2 years to replace a 2009 MacBook Pro but I don't want to pay for something I won't use.
Your only option is Windows because Apple doesn't care about you.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
You don't have to go to windows. Linux has a lot of options today, compared to a few years ago.

Hmm... for server-side stuff, Linux or FreeBSD are the best. On the desktop, I’ve always found Linux a labour of love: I’m glad it’s there, but I’m also glad I don’t have to use it.

It depends what you want to do and what software you need. Linux has tons of free software, some of it is fantastic, but some of it is, honestly, worth every penny... and most of it almost loads files people send you in formats like .docx or .psd... as long as they’re simple and you don’t mind the formatting being mucked up (not always the free software developers fault if the the formats are poorly defined).

Before going to Linux, people should try out things like Open/libreOffice, gimp, Inkscape that are available. on the Mac to see if they meet their needs. If they do, fantastic.

(You have to make some allowances for any mac versions of Linux/Unix software that use XQuartz, which makes them a bit awkward on the Mac, they’ll be a bit slicker on real Linux)

Reactions: old mac

old mac

Suspended
May 16, 2011
Hmm... for server-side stuff, Linux or FreeBSD are the best. On the desktop, I’ve always found Linux a labour of love: I’m glad it’s there, but I’m also glad I don’t have to use it.

It depends what you want to do and what software you need. Linux has tons of free software, some of it is fantastic, but some of it is, honestly, worth every penny... and most of it almost loads files people send you in formats like .docx or .psd... as long as they’re simple and you don’t mind the formatting being mucked up (not always the free software developers fault if the the formats are poorly defined).

Before going to Linux, people should try out things like Open/libreOffice, gimp, Inkscape that are available. on the Mac to see if they meet their needs. If they do, fantastic.

(You have to make some allowances for any mac versions of Linux/Unix software that use XQuartz, which makes them a bit awkward on the Mac, they’ll be a bit slicker on real Linux)
I have been reading about a little Linux. Hopefully next time I read a post like yours, I will understand it.

mmmmMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Your only option is Windows because Apple doesn't care about you.
You know, I'm starting to believe you. I feel like Apple is just coasting on what it has because they generate a bigger profit margin than trying to compete in the desktop world. Sigh.

Reactions: old mac

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’ve always found Linux a labour of love:
The keyword is labor, because quite often people need to dig into the guts to install or configure somethign just to get what works automatically with Windows os OS X. I have Ubuntu running on my MBP (dual boot) and I had it on my Surface Book. In both cases, I had to spend time and energy googling and downloading drivers and/or configurations to make the wireless work or fix an issue with sleep or the display. Heck, I lost the ability to adjust the screen brightness when I updated the OS on my MBP. I couldn't get everything working on my SurfaceBook so I just gave up.

It depends what you want to do and what software you need. Linux has tons of free software
An operating system's job is to run applications and its really hit or miss with Linux apps. you may find an app that works well, but then the development ceases. There are fine apps but there's not a complete 1 for 1 replacement and it can be a daunting undertaking trying to find everything you need.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.