Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrgG11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
I recently got an M1 MacBook Air. Before I had an iPad. Now I'm a big YouTube user, and went straight to YouTube.com. I noticed videos very lagging and freezing for multiple seconds at time all the time. And what's weird, always at the same parts of the videos. Now I neither noticed this on the mobile app, nor on yotube.com on my iPad. I tried the videos on there and... no lag!. I don't know what's happening, but does anyone know why? (yeah btw, it's fullscreen causing issues, so my solution actually didn't work, it's just that I wasn't watching in fullscreen)

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I recently got an M1 MacBook Air. Before I had an iPad. Now I'm a big YouTube user, and went straight to YouTube.com. I noticed videos very lagging and freezing for multiple seconds at time all the time. And what's weird, always at the same parts of the videos. Now I neither noticed this on the mobile app, nor on yotube.com on my iPad. I tried the videos on there and... no lag!. I don't know what's happening, but does anyone know why? (yeah btw, it's fullscreen causing issues, so my solution actually didn't work, it's just that I wasn't watching in fullscreen)
I wonder if it's somehow the connection to the internet. Full screen will increase the resolution and the bandwidth needed to play the video. Either that or some weird background process associated with it being so new but it just seems weird. I've never had a stutter on my iMac and it's basically the same computer with a different screen. I would check into your internet speed and see if everything is going okay there.

MrgG11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2021
Might be, but I have around 550mbps download speeds and 450mbps upload speeds, paired with 2-3ms of ping. Does the speed actually matter or might there be something else plaguing my connection? Because YouTube keeps defaulting to 480p even though I can run 4k really smoothly (besides the stutters/lag on my Mac).

Last edited:

sgtaylor5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
What browser are you using? If it isn't Chrome specifically, that might be the problem. Google likes to make the use of its content harder with other browsers.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Happens all the time in ForeFox for me. YouTube pops up a little window saying they know why there are interruptions, and it shows that U-Verse is skimming the bottom of the bandwidth range they use. So thinking very strongly of ditching AT&T. If they would spend as much on their damn backbone, and distribution system as they do on fringe media companies, there wouldn't be as many dropouts. GRRR....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.