Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
One rep told me that, despite my Apple Care+ policy, Apple had to agree that the battery was significantly degraded (~1000 charges) before they would replace it.

I'm not too happy about that.

Has anyone had luck getting Apple to replace their battery?

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
One rep told me that, despite my Apple Care+ policy, Apple had to agree that the battery was significantly degraded (~1000 charges) before they would replace it.

I haven't, but from what I heard that is the case. If your battery comes out as 'passed' on the diagnostic they won't replace it.

Battery replacement coverage under AppleCare+ is available for a covered iPhone if the battery retains less than 80% of its original capacity.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I would think that the 80% criteria has to be met because there are different interpretations of battery life. After a year I may think my battery is fine someone else may not think so. So the 80% keeps uniformity in the determination.

Reactions: Lizzie W.

krazirob

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Baltimore

Yes I did once on an older MBP. They had me run a diagnostic and then they said "yep your battery sucks" and they sent me a new one with a return label for the old one.

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
Yeah, I recall my 6 jumping down battery percentages and dying mid day. So I took it in and they had to test it. Until after the test, the rep was like "woah, your battery is terrible." Then they replaced the battery.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Depends on who you talk to. My 6+ battery was on the border of needing to be replace and the Mac Genius I took it to was cool and replaced the entire phone even though he couldn't replace it based on battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.