Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Had anyone experienced the sticky key issue on MBP 2018? The membrane is nice but it does not look reliable to me so I open this thread for discussion on possible failure.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My 2018 keyboard has operated without flaw so far and I have used it daily. My 2017 indicated problems the first day and seemed to get worst and the laptop warmed up. Love the “short throw” on the MBPro 15 and am looking forward to using it.

I think your thread title is misleading.

Reactions: mr.anthonyramos

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Had anyone experienced the sticky key issue on MBP 2018? The membrane is nice but it does not look reliable to me so I open this thread for discussion on possible failure.
Really?

You felt the need to open a thread for something that hasn't happened to you, or anyone you know, just in case it does?

Really??

Reactions: vemac575

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Thread title updated to be less click-bait and more accurate to the topic.

You felt the need to open a thread for something that hasn't happened to you, or anyone you know, just in case it does?
He's free to ask, if you do not wish to participate in the thread, then move on and let anyone else post their opinions, thoughts or experiences.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My issue was with the misleading title, announcing a 2018 keyboard failure that hadn't happened - click bait, as you so rightly say.

Moving on.

markusberger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
only had the 2018 mbp 13 for a few days and had to return it due to other issues. the up and down keys made a much louder click than the other keys.. only thing i could notice in the brief time i had with this machine...

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

I suspect you'll see very few keyboard failures on these new MBP's in the first few months of ownership. Now when that silicone membrane starts to fail, as in rot, fall apart, dry up, harden, etc., then get ready for some yelling. Until then, I predict silence on this forum.

Reactions: macintoshmac

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

This is exactly what we needed, 15 days into the release. Arguably, the butterflies have had issues, but not so soon. :p

[doublepost=1532777747][/doublepost]
I suspect you'll see very few keyboard failures on these new MBP's in the first few months of ownership. Now when that silicone membrane starts to fail, as in rot, fall apart, dry up, harden, etc., then get ready for some yelling. Until then, I predict silence on this forum.

I see what you did there.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll reckon that it's going to take 3-6 months of ownership before any "failure reports" start coming in. Too early to tell...

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Now when that silicone membrane starts to fail, as in rot, fall apart, dry up, harden, etc., then get ready for some yelling.
Silicone doesn't really age that way though. Maybe if exposed to UV light it might deteriorate, but I'm not sure even that really dents it much, and inside Apple's tightly assembled keyboard it would be almost completely insulated from any UV rays.

Anyway, iFixit provoked the keyboard into failing, but how realistic their failure scenario is is debatable of course... :p

Kevinfinity

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2018
I put on the keyboard cover after I take out the 2018 MacBook Pro from the box. No issue till now and I think it won't failed in the future since the keyboard has been fully protected.

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
I personally think that we shouldn’t overthink this too much. Use the machine, be happy that they updated it with the 2018 machines and use it.

This isn’t a “to buy or not to buy” factor is it? Because if it is, I’d say, if you want the machine just get it and enjoy it. Just don’t go to the beach and placing your MacBook Pro on the sand.

vemac575

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2018
Anyone who's had a failure, this early on, either was VERY unlucky to receive a defective unit, or needs to take a class on what NOT to do to a laptop keyboard.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Anyone who's had a failure, this early on, either was VERY unlucky to receive a defective unit, or needs to take a class on what NOT to do to a laptop keyboard.

But people have a habit of never reading the user manual. :p

That said, to me it seems that the quality control failed at multiple instances between the 2016 2017 boards. This time, they might have ensured a far better check. Each problem costs them a lot, whether we think so or not. Now with these irreparable laptops, even more so. There is no way this was Apple's fault to begin with. I believe so only because of the extensive repair cost involved for them, which they certainly would not like, as a business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.