Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I am thinking of getting one as a gift for a family member of pictures I took while on vacation with them. They seem pretty good for the price...I was just wondering if anyone had ordered them and if they are of good quality?

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
I ordered a few calendars for my golf buddies (pictures from out golf trips) for xmas and they were really good. Of course, it depends on the quality of the photos you took ;)

Cheers.

consumedsoul

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
Quality great

They're excellent quality!

I am thinking of getting one as a gift for a family member of pictures I took while on vacation with them. They seem pretty good for the price...I was just wondering if anyone had ordered them and if they are of good quality?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I ordered one through iPhoto for a gift to a couple who's wedding we shot. I was pleased with the quality of the construction, not at all pleased with the color replication of the printing.

In one page of photos there was a heavy red cast to all the photos. Looked like everyone suffered from a severe sunburn. The cast was gone from the rest of the book. I've had those same photos printed elsewhere with no such cast so I'm almost certain it was an error on the part of Apple (or the company they contract their printing to).

SLC

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
To the OP:

They're of spectacular quality. I've ordered a few and the photos came out beautifully. The "build" quality is nice as well. I plan to continue to use them for as a log of my school's community service trip to Costa Rica––the book has become very popular among the parents, and I've already received orders from more than 15% traveling. That's a good 2 months before the trip departs.

In one page of photos there was a heavy red cast to all the photos. Looked like everyone suffered from a severe sunburn. The cast was gone from the rest of the book. I've had those same photos printed elsewhere with no such cast so I'm almost certain it was an error on the part of Apple (or the company they contract their printing to).

Did you try asking for a reprint?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Did you try asking for a reprint?

No, I wanted to and I'm sure they would have done it, but it was too late by the time I got it. I gave it to the couple (who were friends of mine) and they didn't seem at all displeased with the red cast. They elected to just keep the book rather than send it back for a reprint.

I order my books through MPix now, I like the job they do a lot better. Probably because printing is all they do over there!

SLC

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I recently recieved one via iPhoto of my Iceland trips. Very impressed with the print quality. Looks to have made an impression on a lot of people who have seen it as it's a great idea for presents.
My only issue was with the dust cover which feels a bit cheap (entirely matt printer paper) and the photo I'd selected is a dawn rising shot, so has a lot of black in the foreground, which evidentally affected the printing process in some way as the black is striped. A shame, but a minor quibble. I'll be printing more in the future I have no doubt.

mchevalier

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Annandale, VA
Photo Book

I was just putting one together to see how easy it is in Aperture, I should be ordering in a couple of days and I will let you know.
Mark

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Apples photo products are pretty good. I'm sure there are services out there that are better, but the Apple ones are top-notch.

One note -- I think calendars and other products are iPhoto. Aperture only does books (if I remember correctly)

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
I've ordered two books (3 copies each). I can't say enough positive things about the service, the quality, and the pleasure that those who received them have expressed to me.

This is certainly a service I will use again.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've ordered two different books (3 and 6 copies) and the quality was great. Shipping took forever (to old Europe, mind you, six to eight weeks instead of ten days), but the quality was stunning.

They use the same print service as iPhoto does, and through iPhoto I've ordered calendars and another book. All of them turned out to be great. Save for shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.