Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I just received my Airpods Pro 2, and I must say: the new ANC is amazing. I’m especially impressed by the adaptive transparency mode. I also noticed some reviewers suggesting wearing the Airpods in concert for the ultimate in ear protection. So my question is: did anybody already try this?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I just received my Airpods Pro 2, and I must say: the new ANC is amazing. I’m especially impressed by the adaptive transparency mode. I also noticed some reviewers suggesting wearing the Airpods in concert for the ultimate in ear protection. So my question is: did anybody already try this?
Haven’t done it but unless it has a decibel rating (NRR) then like common noise reduction earbuds I would NOT consider them in-ear protection and I bet Apple wouldn’t make that claim either for liability purposes. Pretty sure the NRR is a government controlled rating as well.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
They wont market it like that, but you can test it yourself in your house. Play music really loudly, check the db rating, then throw the headphones in. It “should” cut everything over 80db down to the 80 mark.

I tested it like this and it worked. Easier to do with an Apple Watch complication so you can see it.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
That's a bad idea and yeah I saw MKBHD mentioning this in his review. Wear proper ear protection at a concert and don't risk your hearing long term.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
That's a bad idea and yeah I saw MKBHD mentioning this in his review. Wear proper ear protection at a concert and don't risk your hearing long term.

Sure, but if you don't have earplugs, it's better than not using anything.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
MKBHD was pretty stupid giving this advice to be honest! Even Snazzy Labs pulled him up on it and said you SHOULD NEVER rely on these for ear protection.

I was a DJ for many years and I can tell you now, proper ear protection is the only way to save your ears if you go to lots of concerts/club events.

Reactions: seinman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.