Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi. I have had the apple pencil for about a year and it is showing no discernible wear.
Has anyone had an issue with pencil tip wear?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Still haven’t worn out a tip, and I do not see any kind of wear and tear on the Pencil at all. It’s a very resilient accessory.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Funny you should post this because just yesterday I was wondering where I put the additional tip that comes with it because I was thinking I've had this same pencil for a very long time now (when they first came out) and have not had to replace the tip and the battery is just fine. So I was wondering when the tip was going to go out and so far it's been just fine.
There are rumors of a new pencil coming out which I will probably get and keep this one since I have two iPads it can work on.
Don't worry, it' a GREAT little long lasting device.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
i’ve been through a few tips and i’m on my second Pencil (apparently the Pencil doesn’t like being dropped in a puddle...).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My local Apple Store was very happy to provide me replacement tips when I damaged one of mine...

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Ive been using the pencil since just after it launched. It took me awhile to actually find one in stock. Anyway, mine doesn't show any wear. I have worn through one tip.

I will say this... the cap that covers the lighting charging "thingy" didn't survive my two year daughters teeth... I should have been paying better attention. lol Thankful Apple replaced it. Replaced the cap.. not the daughter. :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I've been through a couple of tips, they still work but after a while they seem to feel scratchy.

I bought some fake ones from Ali express - much cheaper than apple's and they seem to last longer!

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Mine died after some months in the drawer, wouldn't charge anymore.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
Ive been using the pencil since just after it launched. It took me awhile to actually find one in stock. Anyway, mine doesn't show any wear. I have worn through one tip.

I will say this... the cap that covers the lighting charging "thingy" didn't survive my two year daughters teeth... I should have been paying better attention. lol Thankful Apple replaced it. Replaced the cap.. not the daughter. :)

That's too funny. Made my day. Subtle humor is the best

Reactions: RevTEG

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I lost my lightning cap and charging turn around ages ago. would apple replace a lost object? can you buy those?

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I lost my lightning cap and charging turn around ages ago. would apple replace a lost object? can you buy those?

I replaced the cap with a stylus tip and those can be purchased from Amazon. It really expands the usefulness of the Apple Pencil.

61nPjliFZkL._SL260_.jpg

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
Ive had the Pencil for over a year and a half and am still on the original tip with moderate usage. I don't really know what it takes to wear out the tips but I cant imagine that normal usage on the screen is going to affect it all that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.