Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axiomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
I was told by an ECE expert that the way Apple fixed the speakers crackling in 2018 MBP was just cutting the high frequency part in audio signal, which harmed the sound quality of speakers. And yes, I noticed the music sounded different after the supplemental update 2......
Does anybody feel the same?

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
I was told by an ECE expert that the way Apple fixed the speakers crackling in 2018 MBP was just cutting the high frequency part in audio signal, which harmed the sound quality of speakers. And yes, I noticed the music sounded different after the supplemental update 2......
Does anybody feel the same?
You mean first you read about them cutting the high frequency part of the audio,
and then you noticed that it sounded different?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

rurza

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
If it sounds less "deep" it would be a cut off of lower frequencies, the opposite of the OP is claiming.
I used bad word – it isn't as rich as before. Anyway I'm just answering to the question from topic title – and it's entirely subjective but it wasn't suggested by anyone:)

Axiomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
You mean first you read about them cutting the high frequency part of the audio,
and then you noticed that it sounded different?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Nope, I had noticed that it sounded different before I heard that the news. Before I knew that the sound quality might be lowered, I didn't care about the change of sound, because I thought it was my illusion.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Yes there’s no doubt Apple have applied a high shelf cut of about 1 or 2 dB at 6k and above with the supplemental update. High frequencies have been attenuated. It’s a shame as I have zero idea how that would have contributed to the sample rate speakers popping issue. Obviously a myopic decision by someone to try and mask the cracking / popping. I really hope they revert that move with the next update.

Reactions: afas

soiramk

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Greece
But the 'popping/crackling' issue, still exists after supplemental update... So what is supposed it fixed?

afas

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
But the 'popping/crackling' issue, still exists after supplemental update... So what is supposed it fixed?
Unfortunately, nothing. The crackling problem is still there and it is very likely to damage your speakers if you ignore it by cranking up the volume. Let's hope in a quick resolution.

AsherMenezes

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2018
Apple is still working I contacted them ! Don't know how long it takes for them to fix this issue.
And they really need to get their act together to fix and stop having every Apple device including iPhone's having one issue after another!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.