Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Well this is probably going to seem kind of dumb, but I've been tweaking the settings on my Nikon D40 and with a combination of help from a couple of websites and trial and error, I think that these pictures represent the best quality, color, sharpness etc.

So I guess my question is, do these photos look good to you guys? Is there something that I should change? These photos are unedited, straight from the camera to iPhoto to MobileMe. I know they aren't the most exciting photos ever, but some feedback on how they turned out would be cool.

http://gallery.me.com/andrew.henry#100039

Thanks,
Andrew

Afterthecalm

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Shoot in ISO 100.. all of your photos were shot in ISO 200.

No reason to shoot in anything higher when you are outside with sunlight... unless you deliberately want grain, then shoot with ISO 400 or higher

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Shoot in ISO 100.. all of your photos were shot in ISO 200.

No reason to shoot in anything higher when you are outside with sunlight... unless you deliberately want grain, then shoot with ISO 400 or higher

Does the D40 even shoot in ISO 100 ? I have it set to Auto ISO, I'm not even sure if I saw the option for ISO 100, but other than that, did they turn out alright? I don't think that they look grainy? :confused:

Afterthecalm

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Did a quick Google check, and I am wrong about 100. The specs for the D40 is ISO 200-3200.

I'm assuming you're not asking for critique on composition and artistry, but more on accurate color representation and exposure.

The pictures look fine, maybe you can tweak some contrast, and boost the saturation a little bit.

It looks like an overcast day, so the pics look a little bit drab.. not so much the cameras fault, but just poor and cloudy lighting at that time

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Did a quick Google check, and I am wrong about 100. The specs for the D40 is ISO 200-3200.

I'm assuming you're not asking for critique on composition and artistry, but more on accurate color representation and exposure.

The pictures look fine, maybe you can tweak some contrast, and boost the saturation a little bit.

It looks like an overcast day, so the pics look a little bit drab.. not so much the cameras fault, but just poor and cloudy lighting at that time

Definitely not asking for a critique on composition and artistry, after all I'm not sure I could make that house look to exciting, they were just some pictures that I snapped.

Thank you though for your valued input, I'm just getting started in the world of photography, and I figured that I should get the colors and such down before I worry about taking good shots, I could take the best shots in the world, but if the colors look like poo-poo what's the point?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Afterthecalm

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
Did a quick edit with Photoshop.. Boosted some levels and saturation, and a litle bit of sharpening

I lost some detail in the sky, but the sky was pretty much blown out anyway

3650192332_b601575d85_o.jpg

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
The lighting conditions for these photos are really bad (not your fault, as the weather conditions were terrible).

You'll get better results if the house isn't backlit when you're taking photographs.

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
The lighting conditions for these photos are really bad (not your fault, as the weather conditions were terrible).

You'll get better results if the house isn't backlit when you're taking photographs.

Yeah definitely, it was about 7:30pm and a storm was moving in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.