Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nycaleksey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Can anyone suggest a good software to showcase the performance of the latest MBP M1 Max ?
The reason I'm asking is that it seems more slow and sluggish than my previous X86 based MacBookPro15,1 one. I read raving reviews and I expected more from the top of the line model.

My usage is fairly typical - browsing, ms office stuff, lots of outlook/excel/word at the advanced level.

profcutter

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2019
Check activity monitor. Is it indexing? Also be sure you’ve installed all Apple Silicon versions of your apps. I don’t have an AS machine yet, but my impression is that it should be significantly faster. My wife’s m1 air can run circles around my 2015 maxed out MBp.

nycaleksey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's not something I run, because even right after OS reinstall it felt somewhat sluggish and slow. It's very subtle, but annoys me. My previous one did not have this problem.
I'm using very standard app setup - Chrome, MS Office, Parallels Desktop (don't start me on Windows ARM), etc

nycaleksey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
12.6 , planning upgrade to Ventura. You think Ventura should improve speed ?

P.S. Read up on issues with some of my software and decided to wait until 13.1

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Apple‘s hardware diagnostic test tool is built into Macs. Four Apple Silicon Max, there’s a new procedure to activate it.

I haven’t used it in a long time, and when I have in the past I often got false negatives. I remember one time I was running it on a Mac, the GPU was failing and it could clearly be seen by all the artifacts on the display, but somehow it passed Apple‘s diagnostic test.

Even the Apple stores in-house diagnostic test that is used by the geniuses often gives false negatives. I posted my experience on the forum with a failing HDD in a fusion drive. It was clearly signs of a failing drive, but the Apple store refused to replace it under the AppleCare warranty because it kept passing their hardware test.

They would wipe the drive, reinstall the software, only for me to take home my Mac and have the problem come back a few days later. I would take it back to the Apple store, rinse and repeat for months.

Eventually, 12 days before my warranty was over, the drive fully failed, and failed hard. The failure screwed up the boot loader on the iMac so that it wouldn’t boot into recovery, not an external boot drive, or even their own diagnostic tool. They finally replaced it under the warranty.

12.6 , planning upgrade to Ventura. You think Ventura should improve speed ?

P.S. Read up on issues with some of my software and decided to wait until 13.1
Personally, I would wait before updating to Ventura, at least until there’s a stable release.

Then again, it sounds like you’re already having some issues, so maybe it might be worth trying some thing like installing Ventura.

In addition to apples hardware diagnostic test tool, you can try some other third-party software.

You can try geek bench, and compare your MacBook Pro‘s score against Watson the Mac listings.

Black magic disk speed test is pretty popular, but it only does sequential tests.

I like this other software to task disk speed, but I can’t recall the name right now. I will have to check one of my Macs and post it on here.

I think there is a memory stress test app on the Mac App Store for free. Again I cannot remember the name of it, but I think that’s where I got it from.

tinygoblin

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2022
It's sluggish and it's written all over the forums, even typing is lagging. No fix from Crapple in a year. I recommend getting 2019 16-inch MBP with 5600M and Boot Camp instead.

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
It's sluggish and it's written all over the forums, even typing is lagging. No fix from Crapple in a year. I recommend getting 2019 16-inch MBP with 5600M and Boot Camp instead.
Lol, if you want to avoid lagging typing then the 2019 16" MBP won't help you. Mine did that all the time.

nycaleksey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
I just want to buy the top of the line model of the professional laptop line and feel like the system is fast and snappy. Not to mention spending 3.5k . Am I asking for too much ? :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Go to users & groups pref pane.
Create a new, "temporary" account with administrative privileges.
Give it any name/password you wish.

Now, log out of your "regular" account.
REBOOT.

Do things still lag?
Or... do they go faster?

If performance suddenly seems to improve with the new account, then it's something in your regular account that is "gumming things up".
It can be a job to find out what it is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.