Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rollomat93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
Had terrible eye Strain on XS. Bought the 11 because of the LCD, the strain wasn’t as bad as with the XS, but there was also pain in my eyes and also felt a bit nausea when I used it. Also I didnt like the design with the notch und the heavy and plump feeling of the device. So I gave it back and i am back on my 7 now.

Im planning to switch to Android. I was sensitive to the oled in the Xs, but was also sensitive to the new lcd iPhone 11. Maybe it’s Face ID or something other only apple does. Im planning to give the galaxy S10 a try. I like the form factor and the Design. It also has oled, so I am a little afraid that it could hurt my eyes too.

Did somebody solve the eye strain / nausea problem with the new Apple devices by switching on android?

Reactions: dimitricook

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Had terrible eye Strain on XS. Bought the 11 because of the LCD, the strain wasn’t as bad as with the XS, but there was also pain in my eyes and also felt a bit nausea when I used it. Also I didnt like the design with the notch und the heavy and plump feeling of the device. So I gave it back and i am back on my 7 now.

Im planning to switch to Android. I was sensitive to the oled in the Xs, but was also sensitive to the new lcd iPhone 11. Maybe it’s Face ID or something other only apple does. Im planning to give the galaxy S10 a try. I like the form factor and the Design. It also has oled, so I am a little afraid that it could hurt my eyes too.

Did somebody solve the eye strain / nausea problem with the new Apple devices by switching on android?

My current daily driver is the Galaxy S10+. I skipped the Apple OLED phones thanks to the combination of reports of eye strain and slight discomfort I experienced while trying them out in the store. I ended up getting the 11 as I thought its LCD would be fine for my eyes and I was initially OK with it, but as soon as the Christmas holidays kicked in and my daily usage went up, I started having daily headaches. I suspected it could be FaceID as things got slightly better when I disabled attention awareness features, but the strain and headaches were still there.

So I got rid of the 11 and returned to using the S10+ which despite having an OLED screen doesn't seem to cause me other issues than my eyes watering with prolonged use. I do wish Samsung would bring the option to use DC dimming instead of PWM similarly as some Chinese manufacturers such as OnePlus do.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

Not sure if this is related to what happened to you, I have not gotten eye strain with the iPhone except for when I first got the original X, had to swap out the phone for another (the person at the genius bar was extremely against swapping out as he didn't see anything wrong with the device, ended up making me sign something saying I wouldn't be able to swap another unit regardless of what was wrong with it).

But I did get major eyestrain with Galaxy Phones when using the retina scanner, so much so that I completely stopped using that feature (and it has now been removed from Galaxy phones). I suspect I was sensitive to type of IR scanner Samsung used for the retina scan. Maybe your sensitive to the type of IR Apple uses in Face ID? I haven't had problems with FaceID on the iPhone or Pixel, but have you tried turning that off and seeing if you still experience eyestrain?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
But I did get major eyestrain with Galaxy Phones when using the retina scanner, so much so that I completely stopped using that feature (and it has now been removed from Galaxy phones). I suspect I was sensitive to type of IR scanner Samsung used for the retina scan. Maybe your sensitive to the type of IR Apple uses in Face ID? I haven't had problems with FaceID on the iPhone or Pixel, but have you tried turning that off and seeing if you still experience eyestrain?

I also had major issues with the retina scanner on the S8+. It gave me massive discomfort and a slight burning feeling in the eye so I stopped using it pretty much straight away. It could be that my eyes don't like intense (S8+) or repetitive (FaceID) doses of IR from a close range. For after all, when I started having headaches with the 11, I was doing quite a bit of reading in a dark room with my pupils dilated as a result of that.

Reactions: 5105973

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
If u had eyestrain from apple’s oled implementation, chances are u will have it with any android flagship...

Reactions: kaielement

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
If u had eyestrain from apple’s oled implementation, chances are u will have it with any android flagship...

It’s possible for sure, but also this forum has members that get symptoms from Apple’s implementation while Samsung/Pixel displays work OK for them.

Reactions: 5105973

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
The ”eye strain” may not be because of OLED. FaceID emits non-visible light to do its work and it pays special attention to the eyes (hence maybe shines some focused non-visible light into them.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
The ”eye strain” may not be because of OLED. FaceID emits non-visible light to do its work and it pays special attention to the eyes (hence maybe shines some focused non-visible light into them.

If it's FaceID, it would explain why some people get issues with an LCD iPhone 11 and why OLEDs with a fingerprint scanner work OK for them.

Reactions: mjs916 and 5105973

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
If it's FaceID, it would explain why some people get issues with an LCD iPhone 11 and why OLEDs with a fingerprint scanner work OK for them.

Several Apple Watch users on this forum have been complaining about wrist/arm pain and some suspect it may be the heart rate sensor which also uses IR pulses. Maybe you are onto something.

I would wait for the 'new' iPhone 8 supposedly coming soon than switch to a google product though.

Reactions: mjs916 and 5105973

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I would wait for the 'new' iPhone 8 supposedly coming soon than switch to a google product though.

Yep, this close to the expected release that phone is something to wait for before making any larger decisions. For after all, it should still have an LCD screen and TouchID, so it would be quite a boost in the internals and camera compared to the iPhone 7 without the potentially problematic parts of the newer designs.

Reactions: mjs916

giv-as-a-ciggy-kent

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2020
Aus
Yep, this close to the expected release that phone is something to wait for before making any larger decisions. For after all, it should still have an LCD screen and TouchID, so it would be quite a boost in the internals and camera compared to the iPhone 7 without the potentially problematic parts of the newer designs.

that's really all I'm looking for in a phone. Maybe I'm a luddite but I look at Face ID the same way as Touch Bar and butterfly keyboards: something nobody asked for that isn't materially better than what came before.

Home button forever.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
that's really all I'm looking for in a phone. Maybe I'm a luddite but I look at Face ID the same way as Touch Bar and butterfly keyboards: something nobody asked for that isn't materially better than what came before.

Home button forever.

Well I was looking forward to FaceID in the sense that I could finally just take out my phone and use it with touchscreen gloves in the colder months. However, that unlocking ease didn’t go far as the 11 was completely dead to my touchscreen gloves with a screen protector installed. My iPhone 8 works fine with the same gloves and a tempered glass, so it seems like Apple reduced the screen sensitivity quite a bit on the 11. I tried multiple protectors for the 11 and the result was always similarly poor. Without a screen protector the gloves worked, but with reports of the screen scratching super easily that wasn’t something I wanted to do.

Rollomat93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
The iPhone 9 / SE2 or whatever it will be called is very interesting. The only thing i am worrying about is, that I will get The exact same phone, just with better specs. I would like to have the feeling of something new in my hands.

I think I will give an android oled a try and if it doesn’t work for me I will get the iPhone 9 when it comes out.

Did anybody sensitive to pwm tried out the pixel 3a? I heard a lot of good stuff about the phone and the price is also very nice.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Did anybody sensitive to pwm tried out the pixel 3a? I heard a lot of good stuff about the phone and the price is also very nice.

What I've read, the 3a is an awesome phone for the money, but the 4a is also just around the corner. Personally I'm waiting for its release to try it out and compare to my S10+.

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
I bought the 11 becoz of eyestrain,had the Xr prior,and i hated big phones(still do ..). I had no other choice and the LCD on the Xr/11 are really good,but..

the X/Xs/11 pro Size is the perfect size for me,love how those phones fit in the hand(although,5.4 inches screen would be perfect for me).

Bought the 11 Pro as i couldmt resist anymore, and straight after 5-10 seconds i start having nausea and burning sensation in the eyes.

the screen of the 11 pro was noticably better than the 11. Colours really pop,and the contrast is infinite. Buthad to resort back to my 11 and im happy now,even ok having a large phone,and wish it was lighter,thats all.

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Guys, if you have issues, please fill in this form, i am collecting as much information as possible about this issue and to report back to Apple.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I had a lot of serious trouble with the iPhone XS Max display. So I went to iPhone 11. Then to 11 Pro. I’m fine on the 11 Pro. And the Samsung S 20 and Pixel 3XL OLED.

Face ID, however, stings my eyes. It did on the iPhone 11, too. I can’t play with Animoji at all. It makes my eyes dry and feel gritty.

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
I had a lot of serious trouble with the iPhone XS Max display. So I went to iPhone 11. Then to 11 Pro. I’m fine on the 11 Pro. And the Samsung S 20 and Pixel 3XL OLED.

Face ID, however, stings my eyes. It did on the iPhone 11, too. I can’t play with Animoji at all. It makes my eyes dry and feel gritty.

So for you for sure it is face id that is causing the problem?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
So for you for sure it is face id that is causing the problem?
The stinging dry feeling definitely is from Face ID. I only really feel it if I have to use Face ID a lot of times in a row like when setting up a new iPhone or resetting it from default. Because then I need to use Face ID multiple times in a session to biometrically log into my various accounts.

And using the tech for Animoji or MeMoji is just asking for gritty sore eyes.

This all is an entirely separate issue from symptoms of PWM sensitivity or general eye strain from staring at a display for too long.

sinmc

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2020
Hi Everyone, I have recently bought a MacBook Air and have had very bad eye strain and eye pain even after an hour of using it. I have tried hooking it up to a benq monitor but my eyes are killing me again (although maybe slightly less so!) so I'm presuming this hasn't worked. Has anyone else had experience of a monitor not working to solve the problem?
Also, has anyone got any advice on laptops which haven't given eyestrain? I have a google pixel book which gives me absolutely no trouble at all but I can't use it for my new job. Any advice you have would be very much appreciated. and please excuse the lack of technical know-how! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.