Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadow_wolf_909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Hi all,
Have any of you ever jailbreaked your iPhone? If so, can you tell me what it was like? Was it easy/hard? Did you accidentally brick your device? Would you do it again if you have done it in the past?
I'm considering to jailbreak my iPhone 6s Plus on iOS 10.2, but I'm a little worried about security and whatnot. Can you give me any advice? It would be great if you could answer one or all of the questions mentioned above! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm guessing you originally posted this somewhere else, because the question as it appears, is now posted in the jailbreak section.

It's a bit like walking in to an Apple store and asking anyone in there if they've ever used an Apple product.

Yes. I have jailbroken

iPhone 5, 6+ and 6s+. Every version of iOS from version 5 on. Except for iOS 10 because I don't use any devices on that firmware.

It's been easy every time. Connect iPhone to computer, open JB app, press the jailbreak button and follow instructions.

No, I have never bricked a device. It's possible, but extremely remote and you have to be working VERY hard to do it. With the new semi-untethered jailbreaks I doubt it's possible.

Yes. I'd do it again. It lets me make my iPhone the way I want it.

Advice? Don't install flaky repos, cracked apps or tweaks.

Currently jailbroken on iOS 9.0.2 (one of the last available fully untethered jailbreaks). iPhone 6s+

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
If I may add.....I am on 10.2, iphone 6 happily jailbroaken :)
Just follow above advices and you will be fine....

Reactions: eyoungren

shadow_wolf_909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2016
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the response! One final question: Are you ever worried about the fact that the tweaks or repos that you install may have certain backdoors that the developers put in?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
No, that's not gonna happen....ever!...if you are not using tweaks from pirate repos....

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the response! One final question: Are you ever worried about the fact that the tweaks or repos that you install may have certain backdoors that the developers put in?
Hmmm. Backdoors.

Here's my problem with your concern.

The jailbreaking community involves a considerable amount of devs and people versed in code. A backdoor would be found eventually by someone. And whomever did it, business or solo dev, would be ostracized and torn apart online.

A certain part of the jailbreaking community is a business. Cydia itself is a business. It's very BAD for business if you have devs becoming known for installing backdoors in their tweaks. This community is too small and too educated for backdoors to remain undiscovered for very long.

And once found, well the phrase "Hell hath no fury…" comes to mind.

There've been a few tweaks that gained a reputation for 'phoning home' and the community blew up over those.

So no, no worries on that front.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
The longest I've ever owned an unjailbroken iDevice is a few hours, the legnth of time it takes me to get home from the apple store. I don't even contemplate buying an upgrade until their is a jailbreak available.

It's on ocassion a bit fiddly but theres step by step instructions available pretty much minutes after each JB is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.