Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Long story short,

the 500GB HD is getting tight and the system is so damn slow when compared to my tiny MBAir mid 2012 with a mere 128GB SSD and poor 4GB RAM (vs 16) and i5 cpu (vs quad core i7), thinking at jumping the fence with a 1TB SSD (either a Samsung or a Crucial which now fell below 300 euros) but was wondering about the temperature sensor, how does it work with laptops, I know in desktops like iMac there is a sensor which makes it a pain to switch to an SSD (my sis iMac is too damn slow after upgrading to 10.10.x and I read that the last two iterations of Mac Os do well on SSD and are quite poor on spinning HD, is that true?), what about the MacBookPros?

Thank you

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Long story short,

the 500GB HD is getting tight and the system is so damn slow when compared to my tiny MBAir mid 2012 with a mere 128GB SSD and poor 4GB RAM (vs 16) and i5 cpu (vs quad core i7), thinking at jumping the fence with a 1TB SSD (either a Samsung or a Crucial which now fell below 300 euros) but was wondering about the temperature sensor, how does it work with laptops, I know in desktops like iMac there is a sensor which makes it a pain to switch to an SSD (my sis iMac is too damn slow after upgrading to 10.10.x and I read that the last two iterations of Mac Os do well on SSD and are quite poor on spinning HD, is that true?), what about the MacBookPros?

Thank you

No temp sensor necessary, that's only for the iMacs.

Very quick job to replace the HDD & upgrade the RAM.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yep just swap it over, however putting that much money (1tb sad is not cheap) into a 5 year old machine that is known for its dGPU failure issues might not be the best use of your cash.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
The GPU bit has been already fixed under warranty and since then it's working fine, RAM is already up to 16GB and the power of this machine can still do well for me since I am more than fine with the poor i5-4GB-128GB MacBookAir 11" so I see no need to upgrade anytime soon and even for LightRoom intensive work (which is the most I do with it) it does really well.

Thank you all, now looking forward to replace the keyboard and the HD at once (KB got a few non working caps after cleaning it...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.