Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoawhoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
Hi everyone... new here! Hoping I would get a resolution to this thoroughly irritating problem.

I am using my mbp in clamshell mode with an external monitor. Almost every time I wake the computer from sleep I have to unplug and replug the USB C dongle to get HDCP to work and prevent errors on prime or Netflix using Safari. Other browsers display video just fine (with streaming resolution limits depending on the website). Once the replugging is done, however, it continues to work until the mbp is put to sleep again.

The monitor along with all the cables that I have tried have been tested in a windows setup with a GTX 1080 which shows HDCP status as good every time the computer is put to sleep or restarted or replugged.

My setup is below:

2020 MBP (Catalina) 4 port connected to a 4K monitor (LG 24UD58) via Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

If I also use a 2 port Kinivo HDMI switcher, the problem then shows up with each switch of the input as well along with the above sleep scenario.

What I've tried:

1. Multiple cables tested working on other setups with HDCP
  2. USB C adapter strictly being used just with the monitor
  3. All 4 ports on the MBP with the same behaviour
  4. Installing Big Sur on another partition with the same behaviour (I've since removed it)
  5. Reset of NVRAM PRAM and SMC
Searches so far haven't resulted in any concrete steps to resolve apart from the standard troubleshooting steps which I have performed. I am a new switcher to Mac so I probably may have missed some things.

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks!

whoawhoa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2021
The issue was fixed using a UCB-C to Display port cable and switching out the power cable to another port.
Putting it out there if someone else comes searching with the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.