Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dd2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2016
Hope someone can shed some light on this. My MBP Mid 2011 HDD cable has failed for the third time. First time, I replaced it by getting one from iFixIt. It worked fine for about 9 months and failed again. iFixIt replaced it free under warranty. The third one has now failed. I know it's the HDD ribbon cable because the HDD works just fine in a USB enclosure. Anyone know what could be causing this failure? I'd hate to spend the money to replace it just to have it fail again.

Thanks,

dd2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2016
Are you referring to power? If so, usually it is plugged in while working. Only on battery when necessary. Odd that after three years of use it would fail, then after 9 months.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Are you referring to power? If so, usually it is plugged in while working. Only on battery when necessary. Odd that after three years of use it would fail, then after 9 months.

The SATA cable. Are you swapping out HDD/SSDs often?

dd2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2016
No, only replaced the cable when it failed. Just watched a video suggesting that the rough surface on the inside of the uni-body maybe causing the cable to chafe. He suggested putting electrical tape down to prevent chafing. I'll try that. Thanks for the reply.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Just watched a video suggesting that the rough surface on the inside of the uni-body maybe causing the cable to chafe. He suggested putting electrical tape down to prevent chafing. I'll try that.
- Yes, that seems to be the going explanation for it mostly.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I'd suggest the iFixit-supplied cables are simply not OEM quality. The other possibility is as above you have a projection inside the case that is contacting the cable in a damaging way over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.