Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aratio

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Cochabamba
Hi guys,

I have a MBP 13" mid 2010 with a 720Gb HDD and with a 480Gb SSD installed instead of the DVD bay working perfectly.

I have also a MBP 13" 2012 non-retina. I moved my HDD and SSD from the 2010 mbp to the 2012 one, and after doing the change, my HDD freezes every certain time for around 20 seconds and it starts working again.

I thought something was wrong in the HDD bus so I swapped the locations of the SSD and HDD and I get the same behavior.

I reinstalled El Capitan and no changes.

The mbp 2012 with its original hdd and optical drive works properly too.

Any idea? Thanks?!!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Let's be clear: Do you have the problems only on the HDD and irrespective of which bay it is in, is it in a specific bay only and only with the HDD, or does it occur with both HDD and SSD in both bays or only in one?

aratio

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Cochabamba
Let's be clear: Do you have the problems only on the HDD and irrespective of which bay it is in, is it in a specific bay only and only with the HDD, or does it occur with both HDD and SSD in both bays or only in one?

The problem is just with the HDD (but only when it is in the MBP 2012) irrespective of which bay it is in. Thanks!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
It is a Western Digital Scorpio, 720Gb, 7200 RPM; it is around 1 1/2 years old.
- I'm going to go with my theory above. It's conceivable it has a fault that causes it to function poorly in SATA III bays (which both 2012 bays are) but work alright in SATA II bays (which both 2010 bays are).
The fact that both the 2012's original HDD and your SSD work fine would seem to rule out a problem with the 2012 machine itself.

aratio

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Cochabamba
- I'm going to go with my theory above. It's conceivable it has a fault that causes it to function poorly in SATA III bays (which both 2012 bays are) but work alright in SATA II bays (which both 2010 bays are).
The fact that both the 2012's original HDD and your SSD work fine would seem to rule out a problem with the 2012 machine itself.

Yes, you are right! I will look for some specs of the HDD then :)

Thanks JTToft! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.