Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm italian, so i hope that i can explain the situation correctly.

I bought a Samsung 830 SSD for my 13" Macbook Pro Early 2011. I've installed that instead of Superdrive unit, using a Leicke caddy (Optibay was too expensive).

No problems during the installation, thanks to the iFixit guide. After installing Lion on the SSD, the system has become very fast. I've enabled TRIM and programmed a shutdown of the HDD after 1 minute of inactivity. Everything seems good, even the battery life seems good at first look.

I've recently installed Mountain Lion GM, upgrading from Lion. I re-enabled TRIM and the 1 minute shutdown for the HDD. And here comes the problem.

I've noticed that the fan (the left fan, i suppose, because the 13" has only one fan) has becomed crazy, and because of that, there is a massive battery drain. Sometimes the fan reaches 3500+ RPM even if CPU isn't working hard, like during navigation or text editing. This is strange and i don't know if the problem is Mountain Lion, the Samsung 830 (which hasn't temps sensor) or the HDD+SSD config. I've resetted SMC and PRAM but nothing happens.

What shall i do? Please, help me!

Last edited:

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
PS: i've noticed that now, when i turn on the Mac, the fan runs at max speed AFTER booting, in the first seconds of desktop screen, then gradually slows down.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus )$16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
I've already resetted SMC and PRAM.

It's so strange that opening Safari on ML makes CPU becoming so hot (65-70°). In this case, the fan starts to run at 3500-3800 RPM. I've tested the previously developer previews of mountain lion (DP1, DP2 and DP4), with only the HDD and Superdrive, and there wasn't any problem like this. And the problems are not linked with flash. CPU becomes hot even with google search. But just sometimes....what a mess :(

In my opinion there are three possible solution:

- reinstall mountain lion from scratch and restore all using Time Machine
- Replace SSD with Superdrive and mount the Superdrive instead of HDD
- back again to Lion. But it is so problematic. Time Machine restores of 10.8 don't work on previously OS.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Is Spotlight indexing the drive? What processes are using the most CPU in Activity Monitor?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've already resetted SMC and PRAM.
As I posted, NVRAM/PRAM has nothing to do with your issues, so resetting it won't help. Resetting the SMC will only help if your fans are spinning up without increased heat, which is not your situation.
And the problems are not linked with flash. CPU becomes hot even with google search.
Just because you're on a site that doesn't use flash doesn't mean it can't be the culprit. Did you follow the recommendations I posted about checking your version and installing ClickToFlash?
In my opinion there are three possible solution:
There are more possible solutions than those.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Last edited:

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Is Spotlight indexing the drive? What processes are using the most CPU in Activity Monitor?

Indexing is on for both drivers but i doubt that is the problem. I've used ML for so much days and "primary" indexing is certainly over.

Here are the processes. Everything seems normal, even when the fan reaches 3500+ RPM.

VPaLn.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Indexing is on for both drivers but i doubt that is the problem. I've used ML for so much days and "primary" indexing is certainly over.

Here are the processes. Everything seems normal, even when the fan reaches 3500+ RPM.

Go back and read the instructions I posted for the screen shots. You missed a few steps.

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Go back and read the instructions I posted for the screen shots. You missed a few steps.

Forgive me, i've miss your post.

The system now seems stable, should i wait for the next "strange CPU+fan activity" for posting the results?

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Ok...oh wait, there is something that makes me think...

I've just downloaded a file on the SSD from Safari. When download started, fans reaches 3000+ RPM...wait...just for a download? Maybe the cause of this problem is some issue with the Samsung 830. Maybe the problem is that the system cannot identify the temps on the SSD because of it hasn't any sensor.

Here the results on iStat. One minute ago, the fan was on 2000 RPM, but now...

TBW2g.png

Is it normal?

Here the top processes during download:

vi1VK.png

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Oh, sorry. Here it is. I restarted the download for taking new screenshots.

nMHrI.png

CPU temps during this screenshot: 63°
Fans: 3363 RPM

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Ok. Let's erase the flash hypothesis. I've uninstalled flash now.
But downloading the same test file (90 mb) returns the same fans problem. I start the download, then move to iStat and look the fan gradually reach 3000. For just a download, nothing else :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok. Let's erase the flash hypothesis. I've uninstalled flash now.
But downloading the same test file (90 mb) returns the same fans problem. I start the download, then move to iStat and look the fan gradually reach 3000. For just a download, nothing else :confused:
Did you restart after uninstalling? Does Activity Monitor show the same usage?

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Yes. I've restart the MBP. Same 60° for downloading the test file, same results on activity monitor, same 3000 RPM.

Ah, and same 65° CPU and 5500 RPM fan after boot the system. But it's certainly not linked with flash.

I guess that is an hardware problem. For the HDD+SSD config, the setup is hard and maybe i've made some mistakes.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes. I've restart the MBP. Same 60° for downloading the test file, same results on activity monitor, same 3000 RPM.

Ah, and same 65° CPU and 5500 RPM fan after boot the system. But it's certainly not linked with flash.
So Safari Web Content is still the primary user of the CPU, at around 20%? What add-ons or extensions do you have installed in Safari?

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
So Safari Web Content is still the primary user of the CPU, at around 20%? What add-ons or extensions do you have installed in Safari?

Only during the download.
Without download, system is fine, the fan spin regularly, no stranges activity in activity monitor

On Safari there is only adblock.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Only during the download.
Without download, system is fine, the fan spin regularly, no stranges activity in activity monitor

On Safari there is only adblock.
Some have reported problems with AdBlock in the past. It wouldn't hurt to uninstall it and see if it changes anything. If it doesn't, you can reinstall.

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Nothing new.
Interesting that Chrome, with adblock, flash and tons of other extentions makes the same amount of CPU load during a random download.

But i'm sure, browsers aren't the problem. There is some issue linked with the SSD unit. I never had problems like this previously.
Maybe i could start from disabling TRIM.

EDIT: seems that i'm not alone with this problem...maybe it's the same?

Last edited:

Elvecio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Ok...maybe i've solved the crazy spin.

I've opened the Macbook, and i've noticed that i've forgot to mount this little piece on the SSD.

kWf1S.png

Seems to be a simple metal piece for blocking the unit (Optibay unit or Superdrive) to the case. But after mounting that: no crazy spin after boot, no huge CPU load during download, regular spin, etc.

I can't believe it. Now i have regular battery life. I cannot confirm that is the metal piece the solution (now i'm testing the MBP without magsafe on, before was connected), but i'm happy that is the end of all. The time here is 4.20, so, good night :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.