Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdarcelin

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2011
Got the new iPad Pro 11” today and have noticed the specs no longer mention HDR or Dolby Vision support Unlike the old model. Has this been removed?

I haven’t received my 12.9” iPad Pro yet but I am also curious about this. Are you subscribed to Netflix? Does the Dolby Vision badge show up on Daredevil or Altered Carbon for you at all?

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
I haven’t received my 12.9” iPad Pro yet but I am also curious about this. Are you subscribed to Netflix? Does the Dolby Vision badge show up on Daredevil or Altered Carbon for you at all?
I’ll give it a check in a bit
[doublepost=1541792882][/doublepost]
Yes it’s showing up. Looks like Netflix needs an update too as doesn’t show full screen now on the new iPads

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
The same support as in, ability to play - Not to display - HDR.

If it's not displaying HDR, how do you account for:

1) Apple specifically saying "Watch in HDR on this iPad" for applicable iTunes movies I own? Are they deliberately lying?
2) When downloading such HDR movies, the file size is ~2X average of the same movie size downloaded to my (non-HDR) 9.7" iPad (5th gen). What would account for that? Only more HDR color/bit information.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
If it's not displaying HDR, how do you account for:

1) Apple specifically saying "Watch in HDR on this iPad" for applicable iTunes movies I own? Are they deliberately lying?
2) When downloading such HDR movies, the file size is ~2X average of the same movie size downloaded to my (non-HDR) 9.7" iPad (5th gen). What would account for that? Only more HDR color/bit information.

Are they 4K as well? That would account for increased bitrate. Perhaps 9.7 doesn’t play them.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Are they 4K as well? That would account for increased bitrate. Perhaps 9.7 doesn’t play them.

No, they’re not 4K, just 1080p. On the 9.7, you only have the option for HD download, let’s say it’s 4GB for a 2hours movie. The same movie I (I own in 4K HDR) on my 10.5/11 will be a 8GB+ download.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
I did a comparison of 4K HDR videos between my iPhone XS Max, LG E7 65” OLED, and 2018 12.9” iPad.

iPhone XS Max:
This had the best color. The dynamic range was also very good, but you have to set the brightness to Max or it will look very washed out.

LGE7:
This had much more detail but you need to sit quite close to see it. The better color on the iPhone caused me to adjust the LG settings. They are very close now and much better than I had it before! The high intensity whites were a bit brighter than the iPhone with the LG contrast and backlight cranked to 100. Viewing angles are even better than the iPhone.

IPad 12.9”
Color is very close to the XS Max, closer than I would have thought. The LCD cannot compete in terms of contrast compared to the OLEDs. I believe it was displaying a HDR version, but it probably doesn’t matter given the panel. It does look quite good with some light in the room and without the other two for comparison! The max brightness is slightly more than the iPhone and slightly less than the TV. The viewing angles are ever so slightly worse than the iPhone (still very good). The aspect ratio and lack of true black bars are the biggest negatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: dude-x

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
No, they’re not 4K, just 1080p. On the 9.7, you only have the option for HD download, let’s say it’s 4GB for a 2hours movie. The same movie I (I own in 4K HDR) on my 10.5/11 will be a 8GB+ download.

So they are 4K on the 10.5? That is what I meant. If it is 1080 on 9.7 and 4K on 10.5 then that would explain file size difference. If they are both 1080p, then that is something else.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
So they are 4K on the 10.5? That is what I meant. If it is 1080 on 9.7 and 4K on 10.5 then that would explain file size difference. If they are both 1080p, then that is something else.

All iTunes downloads are 1080p (max), regardless of the device you download to, or the original resolution.

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
All iTunes downloads are 1080p (max), regardless of the device you download to, or the original resolution.

Just tried downloading one myself. It’s only 8.5gb so likely 1080p yeah. Maybe they vary bitrates as well?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
Just tried downloading one myself. It’s only 8.5gb so likely 1080p yeah. Maybe they vary bitrates as well?

Now try to download that same movie on a non-Pro iPad. You'll see it's probably <4GB. All that extra data? It's HDR baby :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.